My '03 Project - REBOOT!

Re: My '03 Project

reporting back with what i've found so far. cleaned the carb and checked the reeds. the main jet is 360 and the reeds are in good shape. i disconnected the oil line from the pump and mixed some 32:1 for it. also, i put in a new NGK plug.

well, she didn't hit a lick. got out my warrior and my buddy pulled me around the field to see if it would do anything. got it running, but barely. it will rev out good, but bogs when i shift and smokes like hell. here's why though, the ppl i got it from were running regular motor oil in the bottle. just as brown as it can be.

gotta order the blockoff kit and a new carb rebuild kit before i go any farther. btw, does that main jet sound too high? it's running the gold series fatty w/ pc2, lidless airbox w/ k&n filter, and maybe boysen reeds? don't know what else yet.

oh yeah, when i popped the reed cage out i inspected the piston and it looks like theres no ring in the groove. what the heck?

reporting back with what i've found so far. cleaned the carb and checked the reeds. the main jet is 360 and the reeds are in good shape. i disconnected the oil line from the pump and mixed some 32:1 for it. also, i put in a new NGK plug.

well, she didn't hit a lick. got out my warrior and my buddy pulled me around the field to see if it would do anything. got it running, but barely. it will rev out good, but bogs when i shift and smokes like hell. here's why though, the ppl i got it from were running regular motor oil in the bottle. just as brown as it can be.

gotta order the blockoff kit and a new carb rebuild kit before i go any farther. btw, does that main jet sound too high? it's running the gold series fatty w/ pc2, lidless airbox w/ k&n filter, and maybe boysen reeds? don't know what else yet.

oh yeah, when i popped the reed cage out i inspected the piston and it looks like theres no ring in the groove. what the heck?

umm thats not good lol have you comp tested it yet? and a stock main jet is only 230 a 360 is HUUUUUGE. with those mods im thinking around 290ish I:I

no way dude, you can have one of the pros here do it for you for less than that.

i thought so too. i'm waiting on Flotek to respond to me email, but i just figured i'd ask about that one.

umm thats not good lol have you comp tested it yet? and a stock main jet is only 230 a 360 is HUUUUUGE. with those mods im thinking around 290ish I:I

i haven't comp tested it yet. kind of wanted to tinker on it before i do anything major. it will be done though. i thought 360 was big myself so i figure i'll try a 300.

regular motor oil.......wow thats a new one lol

no joke man. they actually told me that it was a 98 or 99 when i picked it up. i don't think they had much of a clue.

i went and looked at a blaster with one of my friends and they said it was a 2001 and i knew it wasnt because of the yellow rims. i looked at the vin and it was a 96. and they was running no airfilter. i thought that was dumb, but i think u might win lol

back to the motor oil subject. i know it's not what to put in it, but what does it hurt? only thing i can tell is it gummed the carb up a little. maybe i blew out what was left when it was running.

I have a 03 blaster that is a stock motor with a the gold series fatty and powercore 2 silencor with holes in the airbox lid and i called fmf factory because i wanted to rejet it and they said that i should go with a 260 main.

300 main plug chop
290 main plugchop.... the plug should be a card board color do both
running regular motor oil will provide it with lube.. its better than nothing but its not meant to be burn't like that. getcha some good old klotz, amsoil, or bel-ray 2 smoke oil.
the person you bought it from is stupid

not much going on with this the last few days. i did order the blockoff kit, carb rebuild kit, some main jets, a compression tester and the leakdown tester from holeshotman. other than that just waiting around for things to arrive and then i'm gonna send the jug and head to ken o'connor for some porting and a fresh bore. im ancious to ride this thing.

so, i ran the compression test this morning and it only managed 30 psi. i kicked and kicked until the gauge stopped moving. should i wait for the leak down tester to arrive before i tear the topend apart?

alright guys, finally had a chance to tear into this bad boy today. ran the leak down test and immediately heard air rushing from the head gasket. guess that why it only managed 30 psi on the compression test.

what i found is amazing to say the least. i had the thing running and idling yesterday and also raced my buddies warrior and beat him. i'll let the pics show you.

100_0812.jpg

100_0813.jpg

100_0818.jpg

100_0820.jpg

you can see that there is good size chunk of piston missing. i don't know how it ran, but like i said i beat a warrior yesterday with it just like this. with it damaged like this i guess i'll have to tear into the cases to see if anything else is hurt now. that'd be the smartest thing to do i suppose. don't want it to grenade again.

i'll have more progress to post after the 1st when i can get my money right to send it to Ken O'Connor. until then...

not sure man. im gonna get ken to do the port job and take it to whatever the next size is. i hope it has a little life left in it anyway.

wow thats a good one. and wise choice going with ken on the motor work