My '03 Project - REBOOT!

JonS

Mar 27, 2010
well, finally joined the ranks. found this baby on craigslist on sunday and went and picked it up yesterday. it's currently not running, but i got it on the cheap for $400. i think it just needs a new topend.

100_3095.jpg

100_3096.jpg

100_3097.jpg

100_3098.jpg

as you can see it already has a few mods on it. Tusk nerf bars, FMF Gold Series w/ Powercore 2, DG grab bar, and apparently something from Boysen (reeds i assume), Pro Design Filter, and 18" Turf Tamers out back.

this is going to be a major learning experience for me since it's my 1st 2 stroke in about 14-15 years. plan to do everything myself and with the help of this forum. i have have learned a great deal from being here as long as i have, but still have lots left to figure out.

now down to the meat and potatoes. where do i start at in the process of trying to figure out just what i need to do to get this thing up and going?

Last edited by a moderator:
Re: My '03 Project

nice score for 400 bucks man!! first thing i would do is pull the head and get a look at the cylinder walls.

nice score for 400 bucks man!! first thing i would do is pull the head and get a look at the cylinder walls.

Nice.I:I^^^^^What he said. You can also pull the pipe, carb and reeds to get a look at the piston skirt without removing the cylinder. My parts bike had a broken skirt on the intake side but couldnt tell by just pulling the head.

Nice.I:I^^^^^What he said. You can also pull the pipe, carb and reeds to get a look at the piston skirt without removing the cylinder. My parts bike had a broken skirt on the intake side but couldnt tell by just pulling the head.

so the skirt broke and didnt damage the walls at all?

so the skirt broke and didnt damage the walls at all?

Believe it or not no it didnt. The cylinder is at my uncles right now getting measured and he is gonna hone it or bore it for me. I was shocked. There is a lot of debris in the case. Haven't opened the cases yet to check for damage. Pics are posted in my rebuild thread.

nice score bro !!!!! already half way to a nicely modded blaster with a pipe, nerfs, and hydro's all around, get that motor runnin and some suspension upgrades and you'll be set

thats a nice blaster for $400, looks pretty clean. indeed a good find

thanks guys. i've already been tinkering on it today. got it washed up and the heel guards taken off and took some of the stickers off. looks a lot better now. gonna be a long process with this one though.

btw, what's the best way to get the factory decals off? i tried peeling, but that is tedious work. would a good heat gun peel them off?

The first thing I would do is a compression test to see if it needs a rebuild. You may get lucky and have bad reeds.

x2, compression test, leakdown test, and see what jet is in the carb while its off.

That was the deal with my Blaster. Got it not running and found it just had bad reeds. I was pushing about 135psi.

okay, first thing i'll do is the compression test. i know it doesn't feel like it has very much. i can easily push the kicker down with my hand. what is a good PSI reading? the guy i got it from said it just quit running. gonna check the reeds when i take the carb off to clean it.

120 would be a good reading.

you need to leak it down before you tear it apart!!!!!!!! no sense in fixing broken parts when you don't know WHY it broke in the first place. often times a serious parts failure is triggered by a smaller failure

did a couple things yesterday. removed the heel guards and painted the wheels.

100_0780.jpg

100_0779.jpg

100_0778.jpg

guess i'll have to make leakdown tester too brando. i'd hate to fix it and it tear up again.