MSD Coil for Blaster

Hillbilly_Proud

Dec 11, 2012
Fairborn, OH
Has anyone seen the specs for the coil MSD makes for a blaster? My dealer recommended it. I can't find any info on the net about it, but it seemed really good from what I read in the book at the dealer. If anyone knows anything about these please let me know. Thanks!

Yes I know, they make a Blaster coil for a couple Yamaha ATVs, but MSD makes a single tower coil for the Yamaha Blaster, it's $99. I go there for bolts and bearings, usually in stock and my aunt works there

Edit: And cars also

ahhhh, it's under msd powersports, not on the msd.com website
but it says this is for "small engines" and lists parts for briggs & stratton and tucemseh in this same section ?
but there is one called "single tower " but says ".Designed exclusively for the MSD CPC Ignition Control" and appears to need that plug for power ???.........

$61....
MSD Powersports

In my experience with ignition systems, Id say the aftermarket MSD coil is a waste of money, perfornance-wise, if installed by itself on a machine. The only thing an aftermarket 'high performance' coil can do by itself is produce a hotter spark. And honestly, the hotter spark only marginally-improves the spark plug's resistance to fouling. As long as your jetting is correct, plug-fouling should never happen to you. Your engine is not going to take off like a rocket or run noticably better with a hotter coil. The AM coil can actually make your engine harder to start, because they oten need more voltage to operate and will refuse to fire if the engine is not kicked hard enough.

My. 02. Not saying an MSD coil won't work. Its just not gonna give you much, if any, performance gain. And like Awk said, Ive never heard of an MSD coil for a Blaster.

Last edited:
In my experience with ignition systems, Id say the aftermarket MSD coil is a waste of money, perfornance-wise, if installed by itself on a machine
The only thing an aftermarket 'high performance' coil can do by itself is produce a hotter spark. And honestly, the hotter spark only marginally-improves the spark plug's resistance to fouling. As long as your jetting is correct, plug-fouling should never happen to you. Your engine is not going to take off like a rocket or run noticably better with a hotter coil. The AM coil can actually make your engine harder to start, because they oten need more voltage to operate and will refuse to fire if the engine is not kicked hard enough.

My. 02. Not saying an MSD coil won't work. Its just not gonna give you much, if any, performance gain.

It applies different strengths throughout the rpm range and when the powerband kicks in. Lowest need at idle so it shouldn't affect starting

If your mind is made up and you really want an aftermarket ignition system save yourself some money and get the Rick's performance ignition coil ... There like $40 on ebay and get good feedback. As said above, just don't expect too much of a difference from it.

If your mind is made up and you really want an aftermarket ignition system save yourself some money and get the Rick's performance ignition coil ... There like $40 on ebay and get good feedback. As said above, just don't expect too much of a difference from it.

My mind aint made up... Just askin if anyone has seen these and knows anything about them

Edit... I have a ricks on my 87 Moto-4... Good coil

I have never heard of it either ... If they have a return policy I'd say get that msd coil your talkin about and give it a try, then give us all your feed back on it ! And nology does make a good ignition system but I've heard it requires the hot wire to make any difference ... For the both your talkin over $100 which is too rich for my blood. I could never justify spendin that much on an ignition system. I'd rather cough up an extra $50 and send my cylinder to Ken to get ported !

If the coil has lower resistance than the stock coil it can damage your CDI.
Be very careful.

Unless the motor has huge (+200psi) compression, exotic fuels, or extreme (10,000+) rpm a stock coil will do fine.

Steve

I have never heard of it either ... If they have a return policy I'd say get that msd coil your talkin about and give it a try, then give us all your feed back on it ! And nology does make a good ignition system but I've heard it requires the hot wire to make any difference ... For the both your talkin over $100 which is too rich for my blood. I could never justify spendin that much on an ignition system. I'd rather cough up an extra $50 and send my cylinder to Ken to get ported !

There are no returns on elec stuff. It wont be til feb when I do the frame swap so thats when I'll be upgrading some stuff. I'll might just get it so I can tell everyone on here about it. I just feel if I notice a difference on my kids kx80s with a better coil I should feel it on the Blaster