More Problems

Diablo362

Mar 14, 2009
Not only do I have my KickStarter missing, and My Gear Shifter Extremly Hard to shift if it even does, I stumbled across an even bigger problem...

I was Riding in the trails at night with my sh*tty light, and I went up on a Big Tree Limb and rolled over. No Damage really done. Thats what I thought atleast.
Well I flipped it back over and I started it after about 450 kicks, and I start to go and it pulled me to the left. So i shut it off and pulled the Stump out of my steering bar things. I kick it again and hear a crunchy noise. My friends were with me at the time and thought I was loosing it. Well After 15 more kicks, It got really loud and really hard to kick, so I decided to push it home.

A week after I finally got the confidence to pull it all apart. Took my Head off, Cylinder, and nothing. I was thinking maybe one of the circlips fell off(which happened to me before but that wasnt it) but it wasnt. No Scoring done whatsoever. So I decided to put that all back together and Took the Case off that went around the clutch. The Screws were extremly loose. Right when I got all the oil out and the cover off, Meshed up peices of metal fell out, They appeared to be part of the KickReturn Spring but that was all together. I Currently have it apart and am still wondering what I should do. I dont want this to happen agian, but I also wanna start riding cause the snows around the corner.

Any Suggestions? Comments? Help? Experience? All would be Appreciated.

get some new crank seals , a new kickstart spring, and flush out the lower end to be sure that theres no metal pieces floatin around in there.
you should be back up and running for about 50 bucks

I hate to have to tell you this, but a main bearing may have just crapped on you. :eek: Those metal pieces you found in the crankcase came from somewhere. If you can't find the source under the clutch cover, you'll need to investigate further. A damaged bearing will make the engine very difficult to kick over, and even if it turns, you'll get a horrible crunching/grating noise. Bearing failures leave a huge debris trail behind, including several pieces of what appear to be shredded springs.

Do this before jumping to conclusions: Remove your flywheel cover and spark plug (if the top end is back on the bike; otherwise, just move on...). Grab the fywheel and attempt to turn it. The flywheel should spin over easily in both directions with no binding, roughness, or noise. If it won't turn freely or hangs up, you've got a bearing gone. You'll need to split the cases to find out which one went. Between the 2 mains and rod cages, you'll see it pretty quick.

If the engine spins over freely, check the clutch, trans. shaft bearings, and inspect the whole kickstarter carefully. Something broke. Simply flushing the debris out and going on won't do any good without first finding and fixing what went wrong.

I did check the kick starter, and thats not it, and I Spin the Motor over with ease when spinning the flywheel. But the Clutch does not work, Dont know what it is. but this may have been what cause all of this. Something on that side of the motor im pretty sure. And the oil injection pump was sitting in the side cover, and i took it out, because i have been premixing for years, Is this gonna cause leaks or anything? Thanks for all of your help.

I did check the kick starter, and thats not it, and I Spin the Motor over with ease when spinning the flywheel. But the Clutch does not work, Dont know what it is. but this may have been what cause all of this. Something on that side of the motor im pretty sure. And the oil injection pump was sitting in the side cover, and i took it out, because i have been premixing for years, Is this gonna cause leaks or anything? Thanks for all of your help.

Glad to hear some good news! At least you know that the bottom end of the engine is OK! As for the oil pump, you can get rid of it outright, but you'll need to install a blockoff plate over the hole where the pump went. Funny you should mention that the oil pump was just 'sitting there' under the cover. If the oil pump fell off its mounting flange, there would have been a major oil leak.There is no gasket around the oil pump cover, so it wouldn't take long for almost all of the oil in the gearbox to spill out. Was it nearly dry inside when you took the clutch cover off?

It sounds to me like the oil pump bolts backed out over time, followed by the pump, and the end result was an oil leak that starved the gearbox for lube and caused the damage. Some of the pieces of debris you found in the crankcase may be part of the plastic gear that drove the oil pump. If this is what happened, and the gearbox ran hot, the clutch may well have failed. An in-op clutch is never good and must be fixed ASAP. Hopefully it's just jammed, or the plates have gotten stuck together from the heat. I have a feeling that there is more wrong than just a simple stuck clutch. A lack of oil is catastrophic for any type of machinery.

For the next step, I'd take the clutch, plates, and basket apart all the way and take a good look at everything. The clutch basket must spin freely on the shaft. If it is stuck, the bronze bushing inside could have melted and stuck the clutch tight to the tranny input shaft. NOT GOOD! :( I'd also get a service manual for your Blaster, if you don't already have one. It will help you see how everything works and fits back together again. Check the clutch first. I'd then go and inspect all the bearings in the transmission half of your engine. One of them could have failed from lack of lube.

So I need to take the left cover off now too? and it had very little oil in it when i first took it apart. Thanks for all of your help, and I will get back with the results.

So I need to take the left cover off now too? and it had very little oil in it when i first took it apart. Thanks for all of your help, and I will get back with the results.

Nah, you can leave the left plastic (flywheel/sprocket) cover in place. The only cover you need to take off will be the metal clutch cover, which you've probably already removed. The clutch WILL have to be taken apart for an inspection, but it is not part of any cover. The springs unbolt from the clutch first, followed by the outer pressure plate, then the plates/spacers, and lastly the inner pressure plate/clutch plate carrier assembly. The clutch basket is held onto the trans. input shaft with a nut. Undo it, and then the clutch basket should slide right off.

Hope this helps, and that I didn't cause any confusion. The only other 'cover' you may have to remove will be the actual engine case halves, if you have a damaged shift fork, shift shaft, gear, or bearing in the transmission. This would require a full engine tear-down. Let's hope that the clutch just overheated and is suffering from fused plates.

Let us know what you find!

Finally got the confidence to go out and take this all apart and discovered that the "input shaft" moves in and out about a 1/4 of an inch. This seems like something that with mess it up. My plan is to throw it back together, what do you think? It is currently apart right now... Begging to be ridden on the ice before its too late.