mods on a stock blaster

ihcguy

Mar 15, 2013
Ontario Canada
hey guys picked up a 99 blaster since my 88 blew a hole thru the bottom here is my question
for the 88 i am going to stroke it should i go 3mil or 4mil i am getting the cases welded at dads machine shop or go 6.5 and i am getting cyl ported and polished and head re domed what pipe will i need
the 99 is all stock other then a 10.over rebuild what pipe should i get or other mods want this to stay stockish for being the reliable bike still out runs all my buddys on there 4x4s where we ride
thx for the help guys

I highly doubt repaired cases will withstand the trenching needed for a +4 crank
go with the +3 ....no trenching needed.

porting could/should be done to match the pipe you have.
get the pipe first and be sure to tell the builder what pipe you have and where you want the power...low/mid/high

there is plenty of info on here about the various pipes,
just search...
low/mids...FMF, Pro Circut, DMC, ect.
mid/top end pipes.... Toomy, Trinity, F7, Dyno Port, ect.

ok sounds good hyd brakes are coming on both after smashing into my buddy today they are as tight as i can get them just dont break as good as 800s

Hyd disks are better but I am running cabled drums on the front of a KTM powered Blaster.
40+hp. Stops fine.
If you cannot set up drum brakes you should go very simple on engine mods.

Seriously.
You have to learn the small stuff before you jump to the big stuff.
Otherwise you will be passed by a stock crank, stock pipe Blaster with a $70 head.
And another blown piston...

Steve

(edit) PS, not a very helpful answer I realize. Here is a helpful answer:
Buy a modified head from Ken O'Conner($70). A 3mm stroker will complicate that purchase. ($180)
Any used after market pipe and muffler will work better than stock if you get them cheap. ($80)
Buy a waterproofing screen for the top of the aircleaner ($30) and tune it up with proper jetting ($20)
and you'll need a bunch of plugs to chop up to do this ($30). Oh, and set the squish...
What do we have here, $250 if you were going to buy a crank and piston anyway?
This will build you 30+hp, and porting might give you an extra 3-7hp depending...

Steve

Last edited: