Models

upload_2014-9-3_23-16-23.png

upload_2014-9-3_23-18-51.png

I don't think I altered the proportions much in resizing these, and it looks pretty close in that pic. That's quite the little project, lots of custom fab work

Well its going to be a whole week of body putty then.
cant go further until i get the frame parts together, which depends on the hood for which front frame i use

i will also need to modify it to have air cleaners on both sides the way my dads does

You can buy tons of custom big truck model parts, I build them too, im currently building a 359 Pete, that
I eextended the frame on, an Im using a old 8v92t Detroit in it, I buy old lots of busted up truck model parts on eBay, but I love the old 2 stroke Detroit's, I ditched the big cam Cummins, but i bought a old Pete needle nose hood that is made to exact style an proportion, I make my own drop visors an big bumpers out of thin aluminum plate an solder the parts together, an i ditch the air horns for more roof lights I run 7 roof lights. I use aluminum tubing for exhaust an I build my own y pipe so it looks right under the truck then I polish them. Ive been around trucking my whole life, an im a heavy duty diesel mechanic for a living, just cant get enough lol

i had a friend that was going to get into diesel mechanics, but he dropped out of the college after getting a hernia and realizing the college sucked
he is going for auto body and is on his final year i believe

where do you get the pipe for the stacks? my dad has 8" chrome straight pipes and i havent gotton around to finding a pipe

i got a little progress today

i had to glue down one side on top of the hood, it was sticking up.

also found out that the putty i have dries and shrinks. so this is the front bumper that got bent!
the straight piece of white plastic is going on the back to prevent it from happening again

decided to start trying to match the red paint on the roof and fenders.
its not really a red, kind of maroon color?
what my plan is is to spray it all black, then airbrush the transparent red color on it to keep it a dark dark red
@98blaster have you done air brushing? whats the best method to keep it thin? i was thinking of diluting the paint 25% to make it thinner. but not sure with what

heres the black coat

been working on the hood for a week now i think
tomorrow im doing a final sanding and then priming it black to check for blemishes. will fix from there on out

i had stood the frame up on end to dry. slight angle, but was the second day so i didnt think it mattered
i couldnt have been more wrong lol. took me a little while to straighten even with the glue still flexible

once the frame is done, another glue coat and 4 days drying, i will paint it and start more assembly
although now that i think about it, im going to have to glue the tag axle mounts up and tie them for a few days

i also need to cut and extend the sleeper, which wont be as hard as the hood. it doesnt have a piece on top or sides.
plus i have 2 sleepers to part together. not doing custom plastic work as much, just a little
hardest part will be cutting straight, we cant find the dremel :eek:

Anyone have ideas how i can cut the sleeper cab?

ideally i would use a bandsaw, but i dont have access to one
second i would use the dremel, but its MIA
never will i use a hacksaw again (the hood was done that way, terrible idea)

awesome job. always liked when people made their own creations.

Wish i could find my models I made when younger.

I took the Monogram Ford F250 Super Duty w/460 model (2wd) and added a solid front axle from a Monogram CJ-7. I know it wasn't a true 4x4 F350 with Dana 60, but at least had a solid axle and 4x4.

I now own an '89 F250 4x4 Super Cab w/460 (just like the model) but I added a real solid axle Dana 60 :)

F350 model looked like this:
revell-1989-ford-f-250-super-duty-pickup.jpg

CJ-7 axled used from this kit:
AMC-Jeep-CJ7-model-Monogram.jpg

I am if I'm thinking about it... if I just do it I'm good... the harder you try the worse it is lol. Maybe heat some thin wire to cut it, Idk the band saw would be the best choice I think, your welcome to use mine :D

so been a while. i have been spending all my time on my blaster (priorities right?) and am now done with that for a while (i want a different frame)

anyways, hood needs one more sand and i think it will be done. and once thats done i will start making another hood. this one is OKAY, but has a few problems. first off, the pieces of plastic inside are quite large and will probably create conflict with the engine. second, it has warped slightly and that bothers me.

i have gotten nowhere on the bumper, its somewhere on my bench... i think...

the frame i just finished painting a little bit ago and will do touch-ups tomorrow then let it dry for a day

i have pictures of the actual engine, so i can sort of start on the engine. its just going to be hard...

I decided to paint the hood today, its not perfect, and definitely never will be

Im going to start making my next hood tomorrow or whenever

I also broke my frame while trying to remove the gas tanks i put on to see how they looked.
reinforcing that right now, glue is drying and then need to paint it.

something i have noticed. the paint i ordered for the frame and many other parts seems to be crappy. it chips off very easily. not like my old paints
this disappoints me but i will get over it

Here is the hood. Another wet sane and coat of paint

Attachments

• 14129788889631092997.jpg
    14129788889631092997.jpg
    602 KB · Views: 181
  • 1412978939879401735747.jpg
    1412978939879401735747.jpg
    528.3 KB · Views: 167