Models

Herpderplol

BRRAAAAAAAAAPP
Aug 22, 2012
Dickinson, ND
I have done quite a few model cars over quite a few years. then they got too expensive to afford as a 12 year old without a job and no money.

One of the last ones i did was of a 359 Peterbilt semi. it turned out pretty good, i may have rushed it as the hood is about 2mm from closing, but the paint looks good for not being sprayed and its metal flake.

Anyways, i got this idea last week to make a scale model (or as close to) of the truck my dad drives. Which is a 379 Peterbilt. unsure of year right now

Now say, it would be pretty easy to build if i had a 379 peterbilt model, but they dont make them! they have 379 diecasts for like $70 which isnt the same.

So i looked at the pictures of my dads, and at the old 359 i did a few years back. and then ordered not one, but two 359 model sets.

If you arnt familiar with the trucks, the 359 looks like most over the road semis. a 379 has a longer hood, larger sleeper, and longer frame. my dads truck also has the frame extended more to fit a tag axle. the 389 is also longer than the 379

so the reason i call this semi "custom" is because i now have to extend everything by carefully cutting and gluing together.

in this picture, this is the rear part of the frame, the part you see on the left of the clips is from the other model truck. its also part of the rear frame, but turned around and will have a couple modifications to make it lift the axle i ad to make it look like a tag axle. the clips are holding it in place until the glue is set, which takes about a day to be 100% dry, but is workable after a couple hours if needed

I didnt know about the hood being extended, and my dad said the front frame would have to be also, so this is the extra front frame i have that im trying to see how it will look extended just under half an inch.
not much to see here, there will be a better picture tomorrow once i get the front leaf spring part of the frame on

I may not be able to run the extended front frame, its going to depends mostly on the hood. it needs to be extended a half inch and thats not easy with the hoods. when we go to minnesota friday i plan to go to the old hobby shop we used to go to and get some body putty and styrene plastic

this is going to be a slow build, still waiting on some paints to get here, and then i need to order a few more, one because if its a model, colors need to match. and my dads engine is Cat yellow not tan like the model wants me to paint it.

tomorrow i will finish the front frame piece and try making the cattle guard out of scraps

now thats a cow catcher !

whats a tag axle for ?

In the first picture, there are 3 sets of wheel in the rear, notice one is raised. Thats the tag axle.

While the trailer is empty, the tag axle can be up because less weight means less axles needed to be legal. you could have 3 sets on the ground all the time and be fine, but you would end up burning the front set off very quickly from pivoting rather than turning.

Im not sure about this tag, but i know some are spring loaded and turn and the truck turns making the tires wear less.

but mostly, its just made so they can run heavier loads... legally. cops, or safety people, whomever around here will check you if its up or down, loaded or not

In the first picture, there are 3 sets of wheel in the rear, notice one is raised. Thats the tag axle.

i've seen something simliar on garbage and coal trucks, and also signs prohibiting their use, but i don't remember them being called "tag"

I believe the axles are referred to as tag axles, as they tag along in the raised position until a load is placed on the bed.

The added weight then causes the tag axle to start load bearing.

Also known as lift or drop axles!

Little more work tonight.

got the front frame in placed and glue drying

rear frame piece is done, just adding a little glue each day, then will sand a little bit down after a few days of drying

so this is what the model bumper looks like, and what it needs to look like when im done... so a lot for work to do i would say!

first deal is cutting the two bumpers i have in half so i have two straight sides to build a square base

my obviously very expensive cutting tool

i swear i hadnt been drinking when i cut them... (i kid of course. never had a drink in my life)

perfect finish for the base, its drying now

will be registering for classes for school in the morning. then driving to MN. couple surprises there, going to have dinner with a few friends
also school shopping cause dickinson sucks. if walmart doesnt have it, you probably wont get it here lol

I wish this stuff dried as fast as super glue, would be further by now lol.

Slow and steady wins the race right?

this glue is actually made to melt the plastic to form a bond stronger than the plastic itself.
so right now, i can slightly bend the area that has glue, couple days till hard as rock

Reactions: undergroundart
finally back at it after my MN weekend.

heres a picture to show how much the front frame was extended. - so obviously the hood need to be extended that far

adding reinforcements to hood pieces before connecting. cant see it well here, pictures tomorrow

here is the start of the grille on the bumper. my brother picked me up some .8mm plastic which is a good size. thick enough to be stiff, but still cut-able
progress here will be pretty slow, as it needs at least an hour before i remove clips to start next piece. and once the verticals are done, 2 days to dry

Reactions: blasterdemon7
filled in the open slots on the bumper, letting the body putty dry over night before sanding. i should have done it before i started putting parts on but oh well

hood ready to be set

there is a piece of plastic in the top, that would explain the paint on top of it

my expensive high-tech weights

just painted the first parts today, did probably 85% of semi gloss black parts. i need pictures of the engine to paint stuff the right colors

the model says paint it tan, and my dads engine is cat yellow so i have to see it to paint it

so no, i have not assembled engine yet

Dang, I'm a single guy, you won't believe what sort of models I was thinking of...

Hey, this kinda reminds me of Trailer Park Boys where Ricky gets the truck glued to his hand...
You all watch Trailer Park Boys don't you?

The way we ride...

Steve Best

Reactions: DeJay1206
so im adding pieces to the hood, i think i made it twice as long as i should have... so might just scrap the idea of extending front frame. will save a few hours lol

Have been slowing on this recently due to working on both the blasters and school chit and other stuff.

forgot to upload these last night, i think i made the hood way too long. and it would be very hard to change now...

Opinions? it will probably look better once i get the sleeper done too, but unsure right now

Last edited: