missing in 5th and 6th gear

dakine97

Jan 4, 2012
So I got a notion to break the blasty out first thing I did was clean the plug up good and put it back in and started first kick. Once I opened it up in 5th an 6th it started sputtering and Id catch the gear again and it would still do it wold it be the plug or is it out of time and not getting enough fuel from the carb?? Any help would be really appriciated. But it only does it in 5th and 6th gear :-/

Could be starving for fuel on large throttle demand.

Clean the carby, set the float level.

Is the tank breather free?

No. Have you ever plug chopped the bike? That is a sign of a lean condition. Time to leak test and get it jetted right. Also when a clutch starts slipping it will be noticed first inthe higher gears.

it has brand new clutches the plug was grey when i pulled it out ive been mixing my gas a little richer than usually to because this oil isnt very great

it has brand new clutches the plug was grey when i pulled it out ive been mixing my gas a little richer than usually to because this oil isnt very great

Problem solved!

Lean, lean, lean.

By adding extra oil to the gas you have effectively leaned out the AFR.

If you add extra oil, the fuel content in the mix is less so you are running oil rich but fuel lean.

Mix at 32:1 then plug chop.

Blaaster is right On the money. By adding more oil your taking away amount of gas going into the chamber in turn making it leaner. Always change jets instead

Alright Ill clean the carby and jet up the only reason I was mixing a little rich is i didnt know how god this oil im running was

Alright Ill clean the carby and jet up the only reason I was mixing a little rich is i didnt know how god this oil im running was

No matter what oil you run it must be jetted to suit the AFR.

Do not use cheap oil designed for weed eaters, chainsaws or outboards.

You must use an oil designed for air cooled motorcycles.

Mix at either 32:1 (standard mix) or 25:1 (my choice) and jet accordingly.

Plug chop to confirm.

Do not willy nilly chuck extra oil in to try to compensate for an unsuitable oil, it will end in disaster.

Now its quit I rode yesterday didn't act up one bit with a new plug n fresh gas plug chop was good to