Major chain issue HELP

spcdlee02

Apr 30, 2013
I heard a popping noise the other day when I returned from a ride. I looked today and my chain tension was very low. I was getting ready to adjust it when I noticed that the right side tensioner and bolt were gone. I still have the tensioner on the sprocket side but it is very loose.

My question is this; is this something that will force me to park it until I can get a new tensioner or can I adjust the one side to increase tension and roll with it for about at week?

If you only tighten one side than your rear end will be riding side ways. That's why there are two tensioners to adjust evenly. By riding it you could cause you eating up rear sprocket extra stress on bearings. Not recommended to ride until you get another adjuster. There not to pricey at all. Also why did it break? Did you hit something?

I have no clue what happened. The popping noise was the chain popping at low speed. Nothing is broken, it's just not there. I'm at a total loss as to what happened.

If the chain and sprockets are old and worn, the chain may be ramping up the sprocket and becoming very tight at times.

This tightening of the chain will overcome the tightening of the rear axle bolts and can break a tensioner even if you have one.

Please post a pic of your front sprocket.

let me get this straight....you lost the whole tensioner as shown in the pics above ?
the only way to get the whole tensioner off is for the carrier bolt to come out, as it goes thru the tensioner.
you're either not telling us that part ? or haven't noticed it sticking out and hitting the sprocket hub ?