LT80 Help Please?

Jammies

Jun 23, 2011
New York
Hey guys, I know it's not a Blaster, but the clowns over on ATV Connection are refusing to help me so...

I have an LT80 that won't start. It cranks over, but just won't start. 135 PSI in the motor. Gas is making it to the cylinder. I've confirmed I have spark. Pipe is not plugged, carb was just cleaned. Reeds were taken out and inspected, they are fine. I don't know where to to go from here.

try using some starting fluid and another thing try bump starting it and see what it does but it may be running to rich... check for air leaks as well

Can't bump start it as it doesn't have a clutch. It starts up and dies on starting fluid... So that would mean I have a fuel problem, right?

I bet you need for the idle screw to be turned out for it to idle on its on becaus eit may need to idle a little higher than what it does its common just try my idea should work and clean and spray starting fluid on air filter as well other than that your fuel line may be off or something

I see what you're saying, but the bike won't even start. There's no point in adjusting the idle on a non running bike.

you might have to get it bored again just check under the cylinder as well as making sure every thing is plugged up

you might have to get it bored again just check under the cylinder as well as making sure every thing is plugged up

What do you mean by plugged up? And I dont see how boring the cylinder would help the issue at hand 135psi is a good comp reading for that motor topend is more than likely in good shape.

right right i had forgot for a min... ummm it has to be something that is disconnected or no good better to do your self professional shops charge to much

How strong of a spark is it making? Is it kinda weak or a good solid spark. Had a similar issue a few years ago and it wasn't making a strong enough spark

How old is the gas? is the filter fairly clean?
Old gas can give you a lot headache, One machine I had wouldn't start unless it had fairly fresh gas. Less then 6 months old.
Other possibility is it's loading up on gas and wetting the plug which will cause starting issues. basically wet plug will short and won't arc. Hence the clean filter thought.

If it runs with starting fluid sprayed in the intake, then you have a fuel starvation problem or an air leak somewhere.

Take the carb off , adjust and clean.

Whilst the carb is off do a leak down test by pressurising the crankcase to 7psi, it should hold for 10 minutes,.

If it starts briefly with starting fluid than it is probably a fuel issue. Check your petcock to make sure it is working properly.

When i can't get my motors to start I just pour a little gas down the sparkplug hole then put the spark plug back in and it seems to allways do the trick for me

When i can't get my motors to start I just pour a little gas down the sparkplug hole then put the spark plug back in and it seems to allways do the trick for me

If you have to pour fuel into the wrong place, then you have an underlaying problem and you should search for it and fix it, before it is too late!

OK, I see ya haven't had much response over there yet but you will. You have compression & spark. Likely the carb. They're tiny carbs with tiny holes. I would be patient for "LT80" to reply again in your ATVconnection thread. Prolly out playin on the weekend. Not many folks would jump into a thread he's already helping on. He can help you solve LT80 problems. He knows these little quads well and has always been willing to help.
~
edit: I should prolly qualify that. I don't even have an LT80 manual for my LT80's. Most everything I know bout them came from searching "LT80's" answers to problems or his answers to my questions on that forum. I've pretty much kept them running fast for years from the info there. I know a little bout the carbs but it's well worth waiting for his help :) You'll prolly need more help in the future.

My LT80 alky carb
Lt80alkycarb013.jpg

Last edited:
I see what you mean, he knows his stuff for sure. I just dot get the people on that forum... 70+ members in the Suzuki section and nobody chimed in. Oh well, he's helping now, and I've discovered a way to start it.

If I manually choke the carb by putting my palm over the intake part of it, it fires right up. Put the air boot back on, and it won't start. I don't know what this means.