looking into a 1987 250r

JaronMoor#7

Jul 1, 2009
devils lake,ND
hey guys i am starting to get more into racing and i don't want to move up to a 450 quit yet and my parents dont have enough money so i am looking to maybe trade my blaster for a 1987 honda 250r are they good racers because i want something that has power coming out of the corner and good suspension i found a 250r for 1900 and i could trade it in for my blaster is the a good idea because i really want to start racing hardcore next year my family is going to every race next year and i hope to do crazy good and then maybe the next year move to a 450 and do really good so what do you think should i do

im more into 4 strokes but if i still had a blaster is would deff do that trade...they have better stock suspension

I would go for it man. They have amazing stock suspension and lots of upgrade potential like a blasty, but a lot faster.

ok then i am doing it let me know if you guys find some good deals on a 250r because idk if i am gonna trade the blasty or what so if you find a really good deal let me know

what idiot would trade a 250r for a blaster?? and by the way, you cant just hop on a 250R ad be 'crazy good' at mx racing... and if i had a 250R, i wouldnt even be thinking about a 450 4 poker...

what idiot would trade a 250r for a blaster?? and by the way, you cant just hop on a 250R ad be 'crazy good' at mx racing... and if i had a 250R, i wouldnt even be thinking about a 450 4 poker...

Like said here you can't just hope on a stock 250r and expect to be beating pipe and modded 450's.... The 450's will rocket out of corners and have way better suspention... Now a 250R would be a really big upgrade from a Blaster but you do have to sink some money into a 250R if you want it to beat the modded 450's on a track... You are talking wider A Arms, swingarm, better shocks for the front, the rear shock ir great for smaller riders but larger riders will bottom it out on bigger jumps, The motor is strong stock BUT doen't have the TQ of a 4 stroke. You will need motor work suck as port and polish or just get agood 310 BB kit and you will be set. 250R's can be made to eat 450's alive but it does take money. Don't just expect to buy a piped stock motor 250R and be able to outrun the 450's. BUT like I said before the 250R is a REALLY BIG upgrade from a Blaster as far as MX racing goes.

yeah i know and i am not expecting to hop on a 250r and be crazy good or even run with the 450's i was just wondering if it was better than a blaster for mx

ok no offence...but if you got no $$$ to race 450s you got no $$$ to race a 250 against 450s....the $$$it takes to bring it up to par (age wise and performance wise) i think stuff will break more on the 250 and its going to be hard to get parts (i dont really know)

dude i know. i mean you can make a blaster scream. but not like a 250r. im looking in to trading my blaster for a 250r. but i would give like 1000+ dollars with it . he dumb

I love 250R's BUT if I were going to plan on racing MX hard core I would go with a 450.... No sence in buying or trading for a 250R and spending the money to make it into a good MX bike then try and get a 450 later. The value of 250R's have been going down every year since the 450's have came out so buying one and trying to get your money back out of it later just isn't going to happen anymore. You can find 450's now for under $3000 so it's getting harder to get that kind of money out you the 250R's now b/c 90% of ppl don't like the 2 strokes and are going to pick a 450 since more then likly the 450 will be 20 years newer. Point being, just wait and save some money and buy a 450 and start working on it. Keep your eye open and check craigslist every day... I've seen some 450's go as cheap as $1500 that may need a little work. Just had a 05 TRX 450R sell in my area for $1800 and all it needed was a clutch side cover.

haha idk what i am gonna do i dont think i am getting one and i never said i was running with the 450's i was just wondering ok everyone calm down ok im just saying we don't have enough money to buy a 450 right now but i am pretty sure i am getting one by next year and i know it cost's money ok im not dumb guys seriously calm down i was just wondering if it was a good idea

Talk like that is why 2 strokes are dying, you have to give them a chance, they might require slightly more work and such but your on an old 250r. When you do pass that guy on his 450, he is scared for life, and you have a huge smile. Lots of beating the big bad 450's is just plain experience, with some hp and suspension stirred in. I would say that it is cheaper to build the R, but your probably gunna be one step behind.

Now for a question do 250r's always get thrown in with 450's or are they in a different class due to motor size?