lookin for some help

redline redneck

Apr 7, 2010
Fond Du Lac WI
been lookin around to eather bore out my cylinder or if i have to replace it compleatly. almost every engine place i been to round here say they can't bore it out because yamaha Nikasil plates them. is this true?

i believe yamaha nikasil'd the cylinders in the dirt bikes and such, but not on blasters. some people just dont have a clue, and dont feel like searching for one.

Yup, some dirtbikes have plated cylinders, but not the Blaster engine. Just give KOR a call like everyone's suggesting and git 'er dun! Ken bored my cylinder .10 over and did a much better job than many of the so-called 'shops' around town.

whatever you do do not bring it back to your local shop who thought it was nikasiled to start with ... they obviously dont know shiiiiittttt

I didn't realize finding a good machine shop was that difficult. I just took it for granted that bad machine shops would fall out of favor and collapse under their own lack of good sense.

If the machine shop you visited doesn't know (or doesn't feel like looking up) a yamaha blaster cylinder and the fact it's a steel liner (not aluminum Nikasil'd), you don't have any business going back. Go looking for another shop to frequent.

I've sent Ken O'Connor a cylinder to get bored and he did a fine job. My only complaint was something he has NO control over at all, freight charges! In order to mail a cylinder round trip, it's going to add $20-$25 to the cost of the bore job (~$50). Again, he can't do anything about that but that's the reason I found a good local machine shop for something simple like a bore job.

I think the machine shop said that, because liek myusername said above, MOST of the 90+ Yammi dirt-bike 2-stroke engines were Nikasil plated cylinders.

i'm working on a 96 YZ80 right now that is plated and the guy claims it needs "bored" over when it needs to be re-plated lol