Lock up/Seize, need immediate help!

MasterBlaster94

Dec 30, 2012
I just got a used 2001 .40 bored 200 blaster this evening. I was riding down the road jetting along in 4th gear and all of a sudden a loud screech happens and the motor locks, it tried to fire back up from the tires turning but when it stopped it wouldn't do anything. the kick start wont turn it no matter how hard you kick/push/ram on it. i made the mistake of not checking fluid levels before i left. any suggestions on what may or is wrong with it? and if so, any solutions?

Ouch man, sounds like you need to get that thing home and break out the wrenches. Luckily you came to the right place for advice and Blasters are really easy to work on. Did you run out of oil? Stock blasters have an oil tank with a pump, but one of the first mods that most people do is an oil pump block off so you have to premix your fuel/oil (usually at 32:1)

Well Sounds Like your New Toy Just Blew up with you On it , First order of Business Is to Find out What Modifications you have to your blaster , Then How much you want to Spend to fix it and make it Better and Faster Than Original .

Ouch man, sounds like you need to get that thing home and break out the wrenches. Luckily you came to the right place for advice and Blasters are really easy to work on. Did you run out of oil? Stock blasters have an oil tank with a pump, but one of the first mods that most people do is an oil pump block off so you have to premix your fuel/oil (usually at 32:1)

Its in my drive way at the moment, but when i take the oil cap off on the right side of it. when i look in it i can't see much oil. this one has a gas/oil mix.

Sounds Like it still has the Oil Injection System Intact then , Did the Previous Owner tell you Anything Specific about the blaster , any Leaks or Know Problems ?

Sounds Like it still has the Oil Injection System Intact then , Did the Previous Owner tell you Anything Specific about the blaster , any Leaks or Know Problems ?

he actually said everything was fine. but i did make the mistake of not checking fluid levels before i left.

It Could have been Close to Needing A top end , Did he Say how long ago the Rebuild was , Did it Idle Fine , Did It Hold onto Rpms For Too Long ? . About How long were you Riding it before it did this ? .Also , Where are you Located , The Jetting Could have Caused this Problem .

Could just be the transmission. There is oil in a reservoir for that on the right side of the engine, this is not related to the oil that goes in to the gasoline it is either added in the tank under the seat or directly to the fuel.

It Could have been Close to Needing A top end , Did he Say how long ago the Rebuild was , Did it Idle Fine , Did It Hold onto Rpms For Too Long ? . About How long were you Riding it before it did this ? .Also , Where are you Located , The Jetting Could have Caused this Problem .

no, he didnt specify, it actually idled fine(suprised me), no, 30-45 min., and southern illinois.

Could just be the transmission. There is oil in a reservoir for that on the right side of the engine, this is not related to the oil that goes in to the gasoline it is either added in the tank under the seat or directly to the fuel.

i didnt suspect the oil/gas. i was just curious as to maybe the oil level for that. the kick start wont even budge. when the res cap is off and you wiggle the kick back and forth the gear in it tries to move but just wont, regardless of pressure applied.

i didnt suspect the oil/gas. i was just curious as to maybe the oil level for that. the kick start wont even budge. when the res cap is off and you wiggle the kick back and forth the gear in it tries to move but just wont, regardless of pressure applied.

Something Is For Sure Seized then ! , Did the motor Bog out As it started to loose power and shut off ? .

Well Its nice and Cold There , Jetting in your Carb Has allot to do with how the Motor Runs in Different weather , Do you know if your Exhaust is Stock , Air Filter And Air box Lid is Still there .

it has a FMF gold series fatboy header pipe., and i havent checked

I'm with BlasterBruce, it definitely sounds like you seized something. It would be beneficial to figure out if you did something wrong or you just had bad luck. Running straight gas, a messed up carburetor, dry transmission or bad luck will toast an engine.

Well It sounds Like to Top End Is Fried , I would Start researching on here for What Your plans are for the Rebuild , I Strongly Prefer Wiseco Forged Pistons . Oem or Cometic Brand Gasket Sets , Stay away From Green or Paper Gaskets . I Would Suggest also To Read up And Learn About Jetting , Plug chops And Leak Down Tester , All Things Needed to Know when Owning a 2 Stroke .

A test that is good to do before you pull anything down is a leak test.

It will tell if an air leak was the culprip for the lock up.

If it passes the leak test it could have a lean mix caused by the colder weather that did the damage.

14mqc1y.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Welcome to the dirt pile I:I.
Most first posts are for a problem.
I suggest cleaning it the best you can before laying a wrench to it. X-2 on leakdown before dissasembly, it helps to eliminate causes. You are looking at about $200 for new top end. When you get a chance, let us know what jets you have in it.