Leak down test

240Fun

Nov 3, 2013
South Wales NY
Hey guys so it's been about 8 years since i last ran my blaster the reason i stopped running it was the old piston and cylinder were done, so finally i got around to rebuilding it i got a BBK for it had vitos install the sleeve in the jug and shes all back together and doing some reading on the site i decided to do a leak down test before firing it up and im glad i did. What i'm wondering is would it matter that the engine has not run for 8 years would that make the crank seals start leaking or is it a possibility that the seals were bad when i was running it and it just never showed up i used to run alot on road goin back and forth to friends houses you know WOT in 5th and 6th and never had a problem with a lean run the plug if anything was a little on the rich end but i never fouled plugs so i didn't mess with it.
I cant even get it to hold any pressure right now ive checked everything outside that i can so i'm assuming its the crank seals that are done. It got to cold on me to start tearing the motor down tonight i'm probably gonna do it tomorrow after i borrow a heater for my garage

Standing has been known to dry out crank seals.

Stick the gearbox breather in a container of water and watch for bubbles.

Spray soapy water everywhere else.

done the soapy water on the outside and stuck the tester under some water to make sure no bubbles
i didn't think about the breather and i kinda figured the seals might dry out was hoping not been itching to start this beast up and get it broke in i'm glad i looked thru a forum first it may have been a short 1st run or at least some life taken away
Are the crank seals easy to change out or do i gotta split the case to do so

Crank seals are pretty easy to replace, the only special tool required is a flywheel puller.

No need to split the cases.

nice i bought one of those long ago didn't know why just had the cash i guess it was worth it thanks
are there better or worse brands for crank seals ive been looking on ebay there is a set for 8 bucks and a cometic set for 23 and others for even more

so i finally got to check the trans breather and i'm getting air outta it so i guess i gotta split the case and i might as well do the crank seals as well maybe the bearings

here comes the snowball and i'm not talking about the weather