Kickstarter won't engage properly

Chillinshima

Jul 31, 2014
K so I have looked over as many threads as google will pull up and have not found a theread that really matches my problem. I have the factory manual and am trying to install the starter assembly to no avail. The manual says the same thing that many of you have said. "make sure the clip sits in it's housing in the crank. Make sure the stop is in the right location, and then wind the coiled spring clockwise until it is set in the crankcase hole." so i do this and then it says to test the starter to ensure that everything works correctly. It works like a charm the first time, but as i have learned over the years you need to test everything at least twice before completely reassembling. so i test it again and it doesn't engage. If if "kick" it fast enough it will engage. I did notice that the spring clip (arrow 1) will dislodge itself from the crankcase hole after the first kick. I stole this pic from one of the threads that I read through, so credit where credit is due for the pic. it was the cleanest view i could get. I am not new to engines, large or small, but this has me confused. I would think that the clip (arrow 1) needs to stay in the slot. Is this a sign that the clip is bad?
stolen pic.jpg

its been a lil while synce iv messed with the kick starters but iv had a problem with mine with clip 1 becoming loose and not engaging the gear

By "kicking" I mean using my hand to simulate kicking it over with no cover on. I am holding the coiled spring in the crank case when I "kick" it over. and the spring clip, that clips on the gear, comes out of the slot in the crank case.

It has been a long time since I have been in a Blaster box, but does not the outer cover retain the spring when fitted.

I thought the same thing, but it did the same thing. it worked the first kick after assembly then it would flop like a wet rag.

It's not the coiled spring. that i understand is held inplace by the case cover. it's the clip on the back of the gear. its arrow 1 in the image i originally posted

There goes that theory.

Is the spring deformed or the hole worn.

Could you be putting too much tension on the spring?

The spring and hole both look fine. I am going to try replacing the clip this weekend. they are only $2 at the local shops.
Blaaster: that is pretty much what the manual that i have says to do. The fact that it's not working is why I am lost.

MercMenace: I should be able to get some pics uploaded tonight when I get home from work.

Reactions: cbaber
Got the clip on my way home. I'll install it tomorrow night and keep you posted. Here are the pics I promised.
IMG_20140731_155121_368.jpg

just for future reference

HORSESHOE CLIP
METAL TAB
RETURN SPRING

gear.jpg

Reactions: Fast6hand
Installed the new clip last night and it solved all the problems. I think the old clip might have just been a little worn out or slightly bent. When I compared the 2 they looked practically identical. I guess a fraction of an inch makes all the difference when working with tightly toleranced machines.

Reactions: Awk08 and Fast6hand
Installed the new clip last night and it solved all the problems. I think the old clip might have just been a little worn out or slightly bent. When I compared the 2 they looked practically identical. I guess a fraction of an inch makes all the difference when working with tightly toleranced machines.

glad you got it figured out !