Keep Breaking reeds. Whats the problem?

motocrossking

Apr 23, 2012
fluvanna VA
I have put the reeds on and then the little cage or stopper and my blaster wont run. I switch them around and it runs but it also boggs and then the reeds break. Whats the problem?

pro carbon reeds the first time and then just 20 buck ebay reeds. when its running it doesnt backfire. when i kick it and it wont start it shoots a ball of air out the pipe. i put them on the reed and then the cage and it wouldnt run. this is the correct way right?

um.... not understanding. you mean the reed stops? you want the reeds tight to the cage and make sure you use threadlock on those little screws. big trouble if one backs out. the reeds go agians the cage then the curved stops behind them to keep them from opening too far. pictures would really help[

So you are clamping the stoppers down with the reads? Then that is why they are breaking I believe, the stoppers act as washers so you aren't putting all the tension directly on the reed. I'm pretty sure you need to clamp the reeds with the stoppers.

the reeds need to be tight to the cage when you screw them down not sticking out at all. you need to get a compression test done. you can buy one for like 20 bux. just screw it in the sparkplug hole hold the throttle open and kick it until it stops going up

ok so i put the reeds on and then the stoppers. i tried that and it wouldnt run

Then you have a clog somewhere or something. Can you flex the reeds with your finger or are they stiff as a board? Are you tightening your intake and air box boots to the carb? Did your idle screw get screwed out so the slide isn't letting any air thru? What happens if you kick it with the throttle open? Will it run?

Um.........yes. They should cover the hole in the reed cage, they aid in the keeping the piston from firing back thru to the carb....that wouldn't be good....and they also limit the air flow.

oooooo ok c this is my first blaster and only my second two stroke. all right so im going to go to my local yamaha parts store and order some. NOT OFF OF EBAY!!!!!!! thanks guys. now i can ride like i have been trying to for the past two weeks