Just a quick one

karterphil

May 21, 2012
United Kingdom
Hi Guys,

I cant decide on what to do for this so maybe you guys can help bias my decision somewhat towards the right choice.

Here's the situation, i bought a 2002 ( actually an 03+ model however) bone stock blaster from a friend about 6 months ago and have started a big rebuild which is on the forum. I have had my cylinder trail ported and my head re-chambered with new wiseco piston etc (first rebuild its ever had), I am going to tie this with a pj34 carbie. so to the question, the bottom end is all stock and never opened up since new so should I replace my bottom end bearings for peace of mind or not risk it if they are still in good condition as part of me wants to save some time money and effort while the other part wants a more reliable and competent bike.

Thanks ;)

Hi Guys,

I cant decide on what to do for this so maybe you guys can help bias my decision somewhat towards the right choice.

Here's the situation, i bought a 2002 ( actually an 03+ model however) bone stock blaster from a friend about 6 months ago and have started a big rebuild which is on the forum. I have had my cylinder trail ported and my head re-chambered with new wiseco piston etc (first rebuild its ever had), I am going to tie this with a pj34 carbie. so to the question, the bottom end is all stock and never opened up since new so should I replace my bottom end bearings for peace of mind or not risk it if they are still in good condition as part of me wants to save some time money and effort while the other part wants a more reliable and competent bike.

Thanks ;)

That's a tough question, but here is my response. Others will vary!

If I knew the person who owned the quad since new and it had low hours and the top end didn't explode, all checks for runout and end play were good, and the operation of the crank was smooth as a hot knife in butter, I may let it go this time!

On the other hand-
If iI spend 300+ on a rebuild, I would most certainly at minumum replace the main crank bearings! check the others out while it's popped open, as you don't know how the original owner cared for it. And those bearings being 9yrs old with unknown hours on them is a recipe for disaster.

Cheaper isn't always the best route, at the same time saving a few bucks here and there add up!

I wasn't doubting that I may have to split the cases so I think I may just bite the bullet and go for it, any tips or tools for splitting them as this is the first blaster I have split open. I have done a few 4 strokes and my 2 smoker kart engine but they aren't really the same as the automotive engines I usually rebuild.

I wasn't doubting that I may have to split the cases so I think I may just bite the bullet and go for it, any tips or tools for splitting them as this is the first blaster I have split open. I have done a few 4 strokes and my 2 smoker kart engine but they aren't really the same as the automotive engines I usually rebuild.

Let me find those links to how to make those! BRB

Here ya go!

http://www.blasterforum.com/do-yourself-20/diy-crank-puller-43994/

This is a pic of the clutch holder I made out of an old steel ring- Only thing i would change is I'd use two rings for more support!
22cd5031.jpg

22cd5031.jpg

Last edited:
hard too really say what to do. Like slick said if theres low hours on the motor you should be fine, but on the other hand new bearings and seals are not that expensive. Freshin it up with new crank bearings and get a seal kit, total be around $100.

Theres many videos on here of rebuilds i recommend you watch those like crazy, Get a manual and read up on it.

if it checks out i would run it. no sence in buying all those tools and replacing bearings if there is nothing wrong with them in my opinion. crank and bearings usually last a lot longer than pistons. cranks usually go out before the bearings do anyways.

edit.. if you are pulling it appart i would go ahead and get a +3 crank. they arent that expensive and you will be glad you did later on down the road if your looking for peice of mind.

I would throw a +3 in her but as i have had my cylinder ported for the stock stroke im gonna keep it stock stroke for now, However i can get a wiseco stock stroke crank kit with all seals, gaskets and bearings for only a bit more money than just bearings, seals and gaskets on their own, what do Y'all reckon ?

Edit: or hows about a hot rods kit ?

Last edited: