jettings questions

yamaha205205

Mar 3, 2010
Menasha, WI
so i have a stock blaster with stock jetting and im taking it out on the ice this year well ik u have to jet it i was told to jet it 20 higher then stock but i had a 270 layin around would that be ok to put in it or would it reck my motor

it wouldnt "reck" your motor,but you wont run right...way to rich on a stocker...if anything run a 250...and change your oil to 10w 40 in the winter...always found this to be better the 10w 30

Colder air in denser, denser air means that for the same volume there's more oxygen in it. More oxygen needs more fuel mixed with it in order to maintain the air-to-fuel ratio. There is no absolute guideline to how many jet sizes you need to jump every single bike is different and every situation is different. If someone in Denver, CO was told to jump 2 jet sizes from stock in the winter, fuel would b pouring out of the tailpipe....

You'll need to do some leg work on this one. The best way to determine jetting isn't to use yours buddies, roomates, third cousins recommendation.... let your quad tell you what's going on in there. Plug chops are the way to determine how your engine is running.

A yamaha dealership should stock and sell replacement jets in larger sizes. They'll be a few dollars a piece and you'll need two or three.

270 does sound too rich for a stock blaster, even in the coldest of temperatures. You probably will end up at about 250 but you cannot simply go on that information or the next few posts you'll be making are "my blaster was running great and then it just bogged out and now it won't start" and then "pulled my top end off and this is what I found" and then"how much does it cost to buy a new top end" and then possibly in the wanted section " need whole new engine, my flew apart".

Why in the world would thicker oil run better in the winter? Think about it, colder = thicker already.

well i put it in and it fired up in one kick i was proud :D i had to take the air box cover off too make it run not soo rich but i wasnt really that rich soo i just left it took a few rips downs the street:D