jetting help

Feb 19, 2012
springville ny
looking for some advice for jetting i have .5mm bore, wisco piston, psi pipe, shaved head, vf3 reeds, k&n filter most of witch came with the quad when i bought it my question is should i get a bigger carb or jet up? stock size carb no tors

Well the 26mm carb is to small for even a stock motor, IMO. It all depends on what you want to do in the future. You can just keep that one for now. If you plan on getting it ported get a 30 or 33. If you plan on doing a BBK go with a 35 or 36.

What jets are in it now? Did you just do these mods?

Well the 26mm carb is to small for even a stock motor, IMO. ?

Where did this info come from, IMHO the 26mm carb is a very good carb for the stock motor, even mildly piped motors have no problem producing a heap of power.

I am not saying that the 26mm is the be all, end all of carbs, but it is perfectly adequate for a stock motor.and does a fine job.

It is all in the jetting.

I dont know the specs of a PSI pipe, but rule of thumb would be a #270 - #280 main, then plug chop to fine tune it.

It may need larger or smaller, so get a selection of jets #260 through #310, one of those should surely do the job.

Leave the pilot stock and the needle on the middle clip, and plug chop to perfection.

Where did this info come from, IMHO the 26mm carb is a very good carb for the stock motor, even mildly piped motors have no problem producing a heap of power.

I am not saying that the 26mm is the be all, end all of carbs, but it is perfectly adequate for a stock motor.and does a fine job.

It is all in the jetting.

I dont know the specs of a PSI pipe, but rule of thumb would be a #270 - #280 main, then plug chop to fine tune it.

It may need larger or smaller, so get a selection of jets #260 through #310, one of those should surely do the job.

Leave the pilot stock and the needle on the middle clip, and plug chop to perfection.

What I'm saying is if you take a stock motor and pipe and put a 28mm PWK on it, you will definetly see some power gains. I just feel that it came a little under carbed. Sure it will work though.

IIRC, 30mm carb will fit stock air box, might have to heat and strech it a hair.
I pretty much agree with Blaaster, for most applications stock is fine. I'd have to try something bigger on my set-up, and if it was a WoW factor , I'd be interested. In the mean time I'll keep working on the handleing.