IT 490 Blaster Build

I think for first I will use the a stock open lid airbox. Will maybe build a aluminium one later on. I like the sleeper and neat look of the standard mudguards though. Think I will probably just cut them so that the kick starter and my foot clears. What rear plastics do you run?

The problem i see with using the stock rears and just cutting them is that the kicker is so long that you will have to shave a large majority of the fender off to make it work and then you will loose the sleeper look you are talking about. But hey you may like that look better anyways.
When i did run rear plastics i have a set of banshee rears:
downsized_0429001322b.jpg

As it sits now with no rear plastics:
P1011497.jpg

Hey guys, the IT kick starter touches the rear plastics. Don't know if I should cut the plastics or look for a shorter starter. The IT's are are real difficult to kick so I think it would maybe be better to cut the plastics. What kick starters do the other IT/YZ hybrids use?

i never finished my YZ490 swap, but i did have the engine mounted and assembled, i used a 1999 YZ400F kickstarter lever and I did not hit the plastics with it

looking good dassie, glad to see some action from you, saw you became a member a while back. Welcome and keep us posted.

lets show these dudes us africans can do a thing or two ;)

Hey guys, the IT kick starter touches the rear plastics. Don't know if I should cut the plastics or look for a shorter starter. The IT's are are real difficult to kick so I think it would maybe be better to cut the plastics. What kick starters do the other IT/YZ hybrids use?

I use a 78' YZ400 kicker on my 79' YZ400 for this reason. Before that I heated and bent the 79' YZ400 kicker to work.

bent kicker
DSCF3070.jpg

Thanks for the quick response guys. I can buy a second hand YZ250F kick start lever from a shop close to me but the guy says that I can't bring it back to him if it does not fit.He wants me to take the bike to him and its just too much of an effort to do al that. The lever looks the same as the YZ400F lever to me and I think most Yamaha's use the same spline. Does anyone know if its the same lever? I read up on your build of the YZ490 long before I started building mine Carnz. Was looking forward to see it finished. What happened to the build?

Thanks for the quick response guys. I can buy a second hand YZ250F kick start lever from a shop close to me but the guy says that I can't bring it back to him if it does not fit.He wants me to take the bike to him and its just too much of an effort to do al that. The lever looks the same as the YZ400F lever to me and I think most Yamaha's use the same spline. Does anyone know if its the same lever? I read up on your build of the YZ490 long before I started building mine Carnz. Was looking forward to see it finished. What happened to the build?

i never finished it because i had bought an 87 Quadzilla, i still have the blaster and i want to finish it by next summer but may use a different engine setup now, still in the replanning phase

Made up some engine mounts this week
302q8nd.jpg

Rolled 3mm plate to the same diameter as the blaster tube,tacked that onto the tube and then tacked the mounts on to that.I also gusseted the frame.
fw2lhd.jpg

Top and bottom mounts
2rdkdau.jpg

2vx3pdd.jpg

Welding the mounts and powder coating the frame this week.
51orus.jpg