Jun 13, 2008
I removed this:
IMG_1114-1.jpg

Around this:
IMG_1116.jpg

I found this (it looked like this when i found it):
IMG_1117.jpg

IMG_1118.jpg

Have I gone far enough? Is this the seal, or what was the seal? Does the new seal go around the shaft and metal cylinder in the second picture?

yep, that's the clutch side crank seal or whats left of it. and yes it seats around the shaft in front of the bearing. don't press the new one in too far though because you don't want it to touch the bearing.

To confirm the seal will go around this piece?
untitleddd.jpg

How far should I push the new seal in? flush with the outside wall? Should I put a ring of oil around the new seal with my finger or should it go in dry?

yesir! that sleeve will come out and then put some lithium greese inside the seal before or after you have installed it. whatever you think is easier. and when i install the sleeve i usually put a small ammt of yamahabond on the inside of it so it will make a good seal. it is supposed to be a machined matting surface but i have found that sometimes it leaks. glad it wasnt the case!! seals are easier :)

yesir! that sleeve will come out and then put some lithium greese inside the seal before or after you have installed it. whatever you think is easier. and when i install the sleeve i usually put a small ammt of yamahabond on the inside of it so it will make a good seal. it is supposed to be a machined matting surface but i have found that sometimes it leaks. glad it wasnt the case!! seals are easier :)

Ok let me get this clear:

So that thing I circled in yellow with arrows is the sleeve you are talking about. I need to remove said sleeve, take my seal put white lithium on the inside rim of it, then place the seal over the sleeve and push the sleeve and seal in together?

Or do I leave the yellow arrow circled thing alone, put white lithium around the inside of the seal and just press it in flush?

take the sleeve out. install the seal like you said then put the sleeve inside after not together

Ah! You see I found the mangled seal completely in front of the sleeve, and thus thought the sleeve just sits behind the seal.

So lets go over this again:

I take the sleeve out, put white lithium on the inside of the new seal I put the seal around the shaft flush, then I take the sleeve and force it into the inside of the seal? How far?

These guys are steering you straight^^^^^. Pull that collar out, install your seal flush with the outside of the case, then I also put a little yamabond on the inside of that collar, Then slide it in.

Iirc my Yamaha seal had a small bead of grease in it already. I've never added more to it when I installed it

Reactions: noid
Push sleeve all the way in against bearing. Seems I've seen reference to the sleeve it'sself actually leaking. Just make sure the sleeve has either oil or grease on it so seal isn't dry. Just looked in Clymers manual.... "Pack lip of each crankshaft oil seal with waterproof grease"

Reactions: noid
If I understand correctly, you guys suggest keeping the outside rim of the seal dry, the inside of the seal rim coated with lithium grease, and the inside of the sleeve (not outside) between the shaft and sleeve coated with yamabond?

How redundant is the yamabond? Worth going out of my way to go get some?

I've hever heard of yamabond used on this , however I have never assembled a bottom end either!! Good to know!