Is the 99 yamaha blaster any good??

T

T rev

hey everyone i am just looking at trading for an 99 blaster and the guy says it runs good now but may need engine work later and he says it has trouble starting sometimes does anyone know more about this year than i do??

hey everyone i am just looking at trading for an 99 blaster and the guy says it runs good now but may need engine work later and he says it has trouble starting sometimes does anyone know more about this year than i do??

I got no issues with mine!, it's the same as ALL the rest of them!

well, not completely. i would look for an 04+, unless you don't mind spending the money on hydraulic brake conversions. or was it 03 they started the hydraulic brakes... can't remember. but anyhow i have an 02 with the cables, back brakes didn't work since the day i got it, i tore them apart a bunch of times and cleaned and adjusted crap and put new pads in and freed up the cable... you can stand on the pedal and it doesnt do a thing. the fronts are annoying, they are constantly in need of adjustment, you have to adjust the 2 front tires individually so that one is not locked up while the other one isn't even braking, and after 10 minutes of riding they are out of adjustment... once you go thru a mud puddle, they stop working, so you adjust them a little more, then you hit the brakes a little once they dry out and they lock up... so annoying.

so i bought the 04. love the hydraulic brakes. never had to adjust anything or add fluid since i bought it. work like a charm every time, i can lock all 4 up if i want to or just slow down gradually.

I've NEVER! had ANY! issues with my brakes, I've buried the front right up to the A arms several times and I'm constantly killing the engine with the rear brake!

Maybe if you guys would clean your bikes after you dip them in the mud they wouldn't always be broke down!?

the only way i might have a chance to get them to work good is if i tore both braking assemblies apart after every ride and cleaned everything out lol. not worth it imho. i did replace the front brake pads and cleaned EVERYTHING out real good this morning. the old pads were pretty wore, and there was a good bit of mud in there. they'll lock up now but they definately feel a lot different than the hydros.

wrenchman, you ever ride one with hydraulic brakes? braking is so much more controllable....