Is piston worth salvaging?

Dec 7, 2016
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
20161208_231628.jpg
Hey guys. I know theres probably another post but i have a piston with a broken skirt, It was broken during the rebuild of my engine Daddy's little girl was helping out and dropped my piston. So my question is can i salvage it? Im thinking i could dremel the sharp edges down so it doesn't scar the cylinder.

TBH I think it would work with the right cut on it. Being that im going to do a complete rebuild and replace my cylinder with a portrd one im going to try something with it. I'll post pics of the cut piston and keep you updated on what happens next.

TBH I think it would work with the right cut on it. Being that im going to do a complete rebuild and replace my cylinder with a portrd one im going to try something with it. I'll post pics of the cut piston and keep you updated on what happens next.
Please dont use that piston. .

Reactions: 240Fun

You can not seriously be thinking that piston will work with the "right" cut. That piston is a paper weight, ash tray, target, etc... You are going to ruin your cylinder and I expect you are going to smash the intake bridge and hurt that piston even more along with messing up the crank.

Reactions: Markblaster
Ive aready filed down the damaged area and all the lower edges of the piston. I also simulated the piston motion in a dummy cylinder just to check the smoothness of the intake side of piston.

Right, cause there will be lots of support on that side of the piston. lol Seriously it's junk, no matter how you want to convince yourself to run it it is junk... Either go slap your kid (jk) or slap your self for letting her hold it and get on the interwebs and buy a new one. You will be face palming yourself in no time.

Reactions: 2StrokeThompson
Right, cause there will be lots of support on that side of the piston. lol Seriously it's junk, no matter how you want to convince yourself to run it it is junk... Either go slap your kid (jk) or slap your self for letting her hold it and get on the interwebs and buy a new one. You will be face palming yourself in no time.
This is just an experiment i already have another piston/cylinder/head. I will be upgrading any way but i figured maybe a secret mod may have been presented by the hands of my 6yr old.

This is just an experiment i already have another piston/cylinder/head. I will be upgrading any way but i figured maybe a secret mod may have been presented by the hands of my 6yr old.
Yes , she was secretly telling you to toss it in the trash. lol Do you have spare cases, crank, new lower end bearings, etc also? If not then it is just going to be an explosion more than a secret mod. Seriously, you are losing tons of support with that chunk missing. It's just a disaster waiting to happen and it won't wait long. Search thermal expansion....

I can understand the concern u all may have But i was always a button pusher. I since the age of 8 ive always tinkered and fixed all sorts of things without knowing what the heck i was doing, Most of the time i almost always figured out a way to make them work. Around 13 i began working with 2stroke engines and got very good at small engine mechanisms.Gopeds were the thing here in Lauderdale. Ive built Gopeds with gorilla glue and playing cards for gaskets/glue and would run harder all my friends. About age 15 i got my 1st dirtbike baja 50cc trailrunner(chinese crap),
I found it on a trash pile. It needed a new piston and that's when i learned about timing. Got that thing running in a weeks time. From then on i became the neighborhood small engine mechanic. But being that no one has tried it before it makes me curious to kno why no one hasn't. So for the sake of knowing and on behalf of the curious minds that want to know ill be conducting the broken/modified piston experiment.

Reactions: jus_me
if you try it an succeed
then YAMAHA,WISECO,OEM and all manufacturer's
will be calling you beggin for advice..
and run it with a ngk 6,or 7 heat range plug..
make sure it is pushing at least 250psi
compression test it anything under 250PSI i would cut more of the intake side off:)

Reactions: 2StrokeThompson