Is nitrous practical on a trail machine?

doc_speeder

Feb 14, 2009
Lethbridge AB
So I happened on Dynotune's website. Complete universal single cylinder nitrous oxide wet kit with fuel pump, brackets, nozzles, lines, tank, etc, etc for under $400. Seems like it might be fun when you need that extra OOOMPH on a gnarly hill climb or whatever. Pretty cool bling factor too! I:I Just a 10 shot or so. Anybody try this? It's a pretty simple system, and well tuned it shouldn't be a grenade. Thoughts?

It could be fun but not very practical for a trail rider.
You would have to make room for a bottle.
The bottle wouldn't last that long so you would also have to run to get it re-filled all the time or buy a re-filling station which will run you $500-800.

Yeah I bought a kit just like that for my DRZ125.
That's a bicycle pump bTW.
The cartridges are good for about 2-3 seconds and just dump N20 at any rate they want.
Maybe I was doin it wrong but it made my lil pit bike run like sh*t on the bottle lol
I ended up filling a balloon with my last couple of cartridges ;)

The cartridges are good for about 2-3 seconds and just dump N20 at any rate they want.
Maybe I was doin it wrong but it made my lil pit bike run like sh*t on the bottle lol

and what did u do with those balloons.......lololol8-|8-|8-|

lol baloons, were they 3 for $10?

First, Nitrous should only be used when the throttle is full open so on a trail machine it would be totally un practical. Second, if you go bouncing up a hill on nitrous with out a good rev limiter you will for sure hand grenade your motor or your clutch basket. It has no place on a quad where the tires are loading and un loading. Third, you need a way to regulate fuel and bottle pressure and maintain correct flow or you will start melting sh*t. Forged pistons and the highest octane fuel you can find are a must.

Nitrous, even in small amounts is nothing to mess with if you don't know what the hell you are doing. I have run nitrous on 2 strokes and 4 strokes. I know for a fact that a stock clutch basket on a RZ350/Banshee (similar to a Blaster) will not take the extra HP. I run it on a long rod 383 SB chevy and have twice as much money in my fuel, ignition and timing systems than in my nitrous system so don’t plan on bolting on a kit for a couple hundred dollars and expecting anything more than headaches & molten metal.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2kuik4muharemovic