is my engine seized?

blaster978

Mar 4, 2014
Lowell, Massachusetts
hey guys im new to this site. I was wondering if my engine seized? my problem is i have the cylinder head off and the kick start is stuck it will not go down. i tried to move the conecting rod up and down but it will not move. i try to turn it from the flywheel and it moves about and inch or two. any information will be great. thanks

If the cylinder and piston check out, pull the flywheel and check for a broken magnet. I've seen it happen where the screws break and the magnet gets wedged between the flywheel and the pick up. If you can move it back and forth an inch, it's not seized. You may find a missing piston skirt when you pull the cylinder.

You say it moves a little bit. That leads me to believe the engine is not seized. I was riding Woodrow Wilson's bike one time and the stator screws backed out and prevented it from rotating.

thank you all for the feed back. i have the cylinder head off the piston was toast. the conecting rod has play side to side but no play up and down. it almost seems like somthing is wedged in there. im just waiting for the clutch holder i ordered to come in then i can get a better look at the inside. could a gear be getting stuck some where?

i got it free there was all rust down in the bottom end. now my question is when i bought the quad it wasnt running. now i have the bottom end all set. he didnt have a chain on it when i bought it and now it wont shift into more than one gear. anyone have any idea why? i dont even know what gear it is in at the moment.

Are you trying to shift it with engine off???????????
"Bench shift" ??

If so, you need to be spinning either input or output shaft at same time you "try" to shift.

I thought mine was, stator bolt was not on right and it was holding the flywheel. Just something else to check. Dont force anything, thats kind of a general rule.

^^^^^!!!ditto that means that there wasn't a good layer of oil on everything as it should be and that moisture has gotten in there also, or someone let it sit with the jug off for a very long time. Either way rust+bearings=bad

Reactions: blaster978