Importance of leakdown test

Bluesman

Aug 13, 2012
I bought a complete motor with a Vitos 240 cylinder and head, Vforce 3 reeds, and a CPI pipe for $525. The owner had just had a builder hone the cylinder and supply a new Vitos piston for it. Then he put it together himself. I bought it mostly for the CPI pipe, but with everything else, it was a bargain. It was supposed to be ready to go. Of coarse I'm gonna do a leakdown test on it. So, it failed miserably. It lost about 1 lb every 10 seconds. I decided I didn't feel like going and getting a hose and a jar of water, so I just put my finger over the trans vent. I let it leakdown a bit, then pumped it back up and let it leak a bit more. As soon as I took my finger off the vent, WHOOSH! Leaking crank seal. Will confirm once I get the clutch cover off. (Hope it's not leaking at the case split) So now, it's pull the cylinder off, inspect the crank (Hope it checks good),replace the crank seals, get rid of the green paper gaskets, and measure the piston to wall clearance. The point here is just because someone says it has a fresh top end, doesn't mean it's ready to go.

Always, always, always, leak test any "new to you" 2 stroke motor.

images-15.jpeg

Reactions: C-H55Blasty
Good advice. I bought my wife's blaster and it was locked up. Leak down test showed severe leak at crankcase vent. I pinched off hose and re did test. Held 5 lbs for 15 min. My problem ended up being a broken piston skirt and cracked case.

Tig welded it up and did the leak down after the rebuild. Was a good piece of mind that it was all right before I lit it up for break in.