Ideas on testing engine thats not bolted in a frame...

wwholden

Nov 17, 2011
Dayton, Ohio
I bought a dr350 engine for my dr250 that has tranny issues. Got it dirt cheap froma guy that bought a dr350 to part out. He said the guy sold it because "the engine dont run" he couldnt give me any ideas on whats wrong with it. The only thing I could see that was wrong with it was the electric starters fried. Engine turns over fine when using my hand without a spark plug installed. When spark plugs intalled its got tons of compression and can barley turn it over with a breaker bar. Tranny also shifts fine. Clutch looks to work too. Im wanting to test this engine before I put it into my frame since its a real PITA to install !!!!!!! Like 8 engine mount bolts!! Anyone have any ideas on starting the engine while I have it out of the frame. Or anything else I should check for before installing back into the frame. I dont want to tear down this engine unless theres something wrong with it.

The starters brunt up. And my dr250 has all the elctrical stuff removed so Im going to stick with the kick starter. Unless I could find a used starter cheap but I doubt it.

well you would still need it to be hooked up to the wiring harness for spark. So unless you want to remove that from the bike, sounds like you need to put the engine right beside the bike or just install it

Just build a little kicker stand and like Yamaha28 said, keep the harness close by. I've built little kicker stands out of 4x4s and 2x4s before just to test, it just needs to be a small box frame.

Just build a little kicker stand and like Yamaha28 said, keep the harness close by. I've built little kicker stands out of 4x4s and 2x4s before just to test, it just needs to be a small box frame.

Im not picturing a kicker box. How is a wood box going to hold the force of me kicking a 350cc cylinder over with out cracking the wood?

Just a small little stand that you can slide a couple rods or motor mount bolts thru...it doesn't need to be taller than the engine, just something to hold it...might have to strap that down.

And if you need extra support, 4x4s or 2x6s or 2x8s....

Last edited: