Hugger Front Fenders???

ZERxMCO

Aug 10, 2013
Da' Soo in Da' U.P.
I've been searching the forum for pictures and posts, but couldn't find any, so I pose this question.

Has anyone ever made or attempted to make a hugger style front fender?

The reason I am asking, is because that is what I am planning for my build, but would really like to see what it will look like before spending too much on materials.

If it hasn't been done before, I will be truly shocked, and i guess I will just give it a go and see how it looks.

Reactions: Wifesblaster
Hugger as the ones that are like 1/4 inch from the tires?

Not quite that close, but same concept.
By the sounds of it no one has ever attempted, so I might as well give it a shot, worst case scenario, I am out $50 for materials.

What I mean, is instead of the fenders being connected to the frame, they are instead connected to the steering shackle bolts, so they conform to, turn, and travel with the wheel, but with at least a 2+ inch clearance from the wheel it's self.

Similar to the CanAm roadsters, but built for, and with off-roading clearance and styling in mind.

fpwh.jpg

I say give it a shot. I like my bikes to have a unique look and I've never seen this before. Good luck and POST PICS while fabbing and end result.

OK, so I got started on it today at work.

Figuring out clearance issues without ever having owned a Blaster before(turning radius, suspension travel and such), I basically had to guess-timate all the measurements.

So, materials... 1/4"x72" x2, 1/4"x36" x2, 3/4" 12guage 36" flat stock, for 1 fender, and plenty leftover round stock and flat stock.

Flat Stock measured and trimmed to fit steering mount. Weld Butt off....

1k0s.jpg

sp7l.jpg

v85a.jpg

Add ~2" square halo. Weld butt off....
45d2.jpg

whjl.jpg

2zlv.jpg

Custom bend 1/4" round stock to keep away from steering and suspension linkage. Weld butt off....
0ln0.jpg

Bend(over spare car tire) outer fender shape! Weld butt off...
ljv8.jpg

Bend(over Spare care tire) inner fender shape. Weld butt off
03rl.jpg

Seeing Finished wire-frame and deciding to chop and radius the front more tomorrow, to give it a better look..... ROUGH Photo=chop of changes to come Sunday.
ko92.jpg

All-in-All I spent 5 hours on it, 75% of which was clearancing the upper, lower A-Arms, and steering. I am happy with the results of the wire-frame, I just think it is too "huggy" on the front, so Sunday I'll make a radius and raise the front section up about 6" or so, so it doesn't look so woosie.

Last edited:
I do not wish to sound like a wet blanket, but there is going to be a hell of a lot of stress generated at the mounting point with a fender bouncing them around.

You may consider beefing up the horizontal rail some to avoid it flexing near the mounting point.

I do not wish to sound like a wet blanket, but there is going to be a hell of a lot of stress generated at the mounting point with a fender bouncing them around.

You may consider beefing up the horizontal rail some to avoid it flexing near the mounting point.

I don't mind any advise.

I do plan on adding some extra support, but this is as far as I got last night. I won't have the chance to get back to it till Sunday evening. I plan on putting the full suspension in and double checking the clearances for everything before I start adding supports.

I was also toying with the idea of incorporating some lighting into it as well.

I don't mind any advise.

I do plan on adding some extra support, but this is as far as I got last night. I won't have the chance to get back to it till Sunday evening. I plan on putting the full suspension in and double checking the clearances for everything before I start adding supports.

I was also toying with the idea of incorporating some lighting into it as well.

I'm tuned in. Rep given for trying something new.

how they coming along??

Been pretty much screwed over by real life.... people not showing up for their regular shifts, and me being a responsible employee, covering their shift, plus my own.
Their shifts being front counter, so not much time in dhe shop where the welder and my round stock being....
If I luck out, and either people actually decide to show up(boss's daughter and the guy who knocked her up), I should be back to it by Friday.

It sucks being the "responsible guy" whom everyone can rely on when called in....

Been pretty much screwed over by real life.... people not showing up for their regular shifts, and me being a responsible employee, covering their shift, plus my own.
Their shifts being front counter, so not much time in dhe shop where the welder and my round stock being....
If I luck out, and either people actually decide to show up(boss's daughter and the guy who knocked her up), I should be back to it by Friday.

It sucks being the "responsible guy" whom everyone can rely on when called in....

but that means more money going into your pocket

but that means more money going into your pocket

Not really, It just means I am doing their job, at the front counter, AND my job, but from the front counter, not the shop. Still the same amount of hours just double the duties.
I wish they would pay me for doing both jobs at once...

But I did finally manage to get around to re-vamping the style, and test fitting the fender with the suspension for clearances, and dang it fit good.

fszb.jpg

p9sa.jpg

Mind you, nothing is tightened up on the suspension. when it is, I should get another inch or so of clearance between the upper A-arm and fender.
vmjl.jpg

The only problem I spot, is the clearence between the rear of the fender, and where the foot pegs, or nerf bars if I decide to get some. But I can easilly change that with a few cuts and bends. Nothing is final until I plasticize the covering.
ujyv.jpg

jz2j.jpg

k8zz.jpg

AS for what it should look like when I do finally wrap the fender and plasticize it, I did a quick "Mock up", of course I can paint it, but I am starting to dig the material...
33jd.jpg

1cde.jpg