how to tighten chain?

purpleblaster

Feb 20, 2012
just got a 02 blaster its my first quad just wanted to get somthing to ride around on my 10 achers of land lol . ummm so i dont know much could u please tell me how to tighten it or how to tell if i need a new chain buddy told me they can stretch out .

on the rear axle carrier look on the bottom there are 2 bolts with jam nuts, loosen the nuts then turn the bolts to move the carrier in or out to adjust the chain. adjust each side evernly

there are 2 adjusters at the back of the carrier, you need to loosen the cross bolts on the rear axle carrier, then you use those adjusters to adjust the chain. make sure to take them equal amounts or the axle will sit crooked!

thanks alot guys would anyone happen to have any pics to help me out a bit or a manual pic or somthing thanks alot

As to finding out if the chain is streched, after you have adjusted it to 30mm - 40mm play whilst you sit on it, grab the chain between your finger and thumb toward the rear of the rear sprocket.

If you can lift the chain off of the sprocket more than a few mm's, then the chain is well on the way to being stretched.

A way to find out if the chain and sprockets need replacing is to adjust the chain so that it is tight and push the bike forwards, the chain will make complaining noises as it tries to ramp up the sprockets.

The above is not always so, but is usually a good indication of chain and sprocket problems.