how to put on a 400ex shock

braden

May 17, 2008
1. remove old shock.. (duh)
2. you need to drill out lower shock mount to the pin dimensions
3. fab up a spacer for the lower shock mount to fill the gap where the stock linkage went (steel tubing works GREAT!)
4. you will have to cut a little bit of your airbox off so you can fit the rezzie in
5. youll need to drill out the ex upper bearing sleeve to the dimensions of the upper bolt (you will have the bolt in your hand so you will know)
6. use washers stacked to evenly space shock in upper mount

thats about it.. if you have any problems just ask

why would i ask someone my questions who doesnt know what channel locks are? not tryin to be a dick but really dude you took this from somewhere and posted it

Hahahaha!! I hate when people don't give credit to where they found it. Can we say Works Cited? ..................English comp. 101 ! =))

this is just poorly put together from other posts that he saw, clearly has no idea what he is talking about

dont we already have a much more in depth 400ex shock install on here? one with pictures and everything?

and you cant drill out the ex upper bearing sleeve so thats wrong, either find a new one to fit with the blaster bolt or use the ex bearing sleeve with spacers between smaller bolt and frame.

It's the beginning of this, Boomer | Rydin Dirty but quickly reworded.

lol, oh wow... good job SMITTY, you win the retard of the day award.

What are YOU talking about? re-read the thread and you will see I didn't start it before you start tagging someone a name others may be offended by. I know, I know, "sorry if anyone was offended" is what we'll all hear from you next. ......but maybe not though. I'm not the smartest guy either, (my spelling proves it!) but just try using what you learned in the first couple years in school and read all of the posts in these threads before using your educated opinion. As for returning a thread from 5 months ago, so what. There are people on here that don't work in front of a computer all day so they miss alot of important and informative info that you experienced regulars answer quickly for us (thanks by the way) So Valhalla, I'm sorry you relapsed into May and had to see it again. Btw, no hard feelings. I respect your input and knowledge, but get a little fustrated when people get flamed. Just because someone may be a newb on this "Blaster" site, doesn't mean they're a newb with atv's, motocross bikes, sleds, streetbikes, life, etc. This is my 6th motorsport forum that I currently participate with. However, this is my newest and so far my favorite along with "Thumpertalk".

Last edited:
wow, not too good at taking jokes huh?

its ok, you are forgiven this time, but dont let that sh*t happen again.

LOL!! You are a joker! Now I'm gonna dig up every old thread and fill the first few pages with nothing later than 2007 :-D ...........and if your lucky, your pm's too! =)) ..................J.k.

I put on my 400ex rear shock yesterday along with the extended swinger. Shock was pretty easy! Today I test fitted the plastics to get ready to cut a notch for the reservoir and the plastics fit perfect...not much clearance but it appears to be enough. We loaded and unloaded the suspension and it always stays about 1/8" from touching the plastics around the air box! F'n perfect I think.
Not sure why I didn't need to notch mine but what the heck, can't beat that. Mine is an 02 but I don't think there is any difference for the mounting. I guess maybe the lower mount location could cause the angles to change and make it hit??

IMG00076.jpg

IMG00073.jpg

Hmmmm...I didn't try the lid yet with the intake pipe..interesting. On the other pics, the actual air box plastic had to be cut out but mine seems good. I will have to check the lid now :(

Put the lid on....well I laid it on anyway. It just barely hits....looks like it needs the same treatment posted above in the pics. Little grind off the intake hose where it rests on top of the reservoir.
Easy mod though doing the shock and although I haven't got to ride, it feels so much smoother than the stock one!

so im thinking about doing this to my blaster does it raise it up any and what shock should i put on to raise my blaster