How screwed am I?

MrShark

May 6, 2016
So on my way out to plug chop my quad was running funny and then died. Found that cylinder nuts had loosened and blown out the gasket. Orded cylinder and head gaskets, and new cylinder studs. Put everything back together today. only have compression tester and it single kicked to 75psi and could get to 125 with multiple kicks. Reset air screw to 1.5turns out and backed out idle screw. Half choke out and started fine but was free revving, pulled choke all the way and it calmed to pretty normal. Double checked head and cylinder nut torque and restarted, same runaway idle unless choke is all the way out, used started fluid and sprayed around the carb, base, head and exhaust and nothing spiked the rpms. Then I noticed the trans oil leaking from somewhere but couldn't tell exactly where, double checked drain plug. Trans was not leaking before trying after reassembly.

So where do I go from here? Super disheartened right now. Have new tires, new chain, new sprockets, new grips, new petcock, new filter, new axle bearings, new swingarm bearings, tors delete, fmf fatty/powercore 2. All a giant waste if I can't get this motor straightened out.

So I built my leak down tester. I can't even hold pressure, it's blowing right out of the output shaft, where the drive sprocket is. Should combustion even be getting there? This Blaster is turning into a money pit.

If you are losing are out of the output shaft, you got's a real problem lol. There are 2 ways to be leaking air out of that seal. The crank case and the output shaft part of the case are separate sealed compartments. The seal, or lack there of, in the middle of the case is defective and broken. The only way to fix that is to split the cases.

Now the only other way that air is the clutch side crank case seal is leaking, then the air is getting into the transmission, then through that seal next to the sprocket.

I would say replace the crank seal and the output shaft seal first before splitting the cases. Then retest!

When you do the right crank seal you also have to seal the collar to the crankshaft, in fact that may be where it's leaking. If it is the crank seal replace both of them.
Pull the clutch cover and check it out.

There is a possibility the crankcase is damaged from a blown piston.
Keep in mind that most Blasters are old and have held up to unknown abuse. No matter what they are still cheaper to fix than anything else.

BTW you have to do heat cycles and retorque the head and cylinder !! VERY IMPORTANT !!

If I am looking at pictures right, it would need to be the clutch side Crank Seal leaking right? If It was the sprocket side it would just blow past the stator and flywheel. So I plan to take the clutch side apart and see if it's blowing from the Crank Seal......if not I am really worried something might have gone very wrong in the case.

no matter where the leak is between crankcase and trans/clutch areas,
how could it build pressure to leak out the output shaft seal ?
it would free flow out the vent hose, unless it's blocked off

Reactions: JFortner5
Damn, you're right. Anyone have an idea what a full KOR rebuild costs? I'm willing to try the rebuild myself but don't want to go through the trouble and have messed something up.