How many use the clutch

just wondering what you guys mean by speed shifting? In a close drag race sometimes I won't let off the gas at all, just pull in the clutch, shift up, and let out the clutch all very fast. Is that bad on the trans?
I figure its a little hard on it, but I would never even think about shifting without the clutch completely...

just wondering what you guys mean by speed shifting? In a close drag race sometimes I won't let off the gas at all, just pull in the clutch, shift up, and let out the clutch all very fast. Is that bad on the trans?
I figure its a little hard on it, but I would never even think about shifting without the clutch completely...

If you are using the clutch in this way it would be worse on the clutch (burn it up) than the trans.

I feel like I need to make a shifting tutorial for people. It's not hard to use the clutch. Also, you let off the gas during your shifts(while the clutch is disengaged). This is me just casually dicking around and not even going fast yet always using the clutch on up and downshifts.

Last edited by a moderator:
I feel like I need to make a shifting tutorial for people. It's not hard to use the clutch. Also, you let off the gas during your shifts(while the clutch is disengaged). This is me just casually dicking around and not even going fast yet always using the clutch on up and downshifts.

It is hard on your clutch when you shift at WOT and dump the clutch. If you dont believe that, do it for a while then pull your plates out and see how many pretty colors you can identify on them.

It is hard on your clutch when you shift at WOT and dump the clutch. If you dont believe that, do it for a while then pull your plates out and see how many pretty colors you can identify on them.

Are you directing that at me? I'm the most pro clutch and use it all the time person in this entire thread. I:I You are correct though.

I always use the clutch as well, but I'm wondering what "speed shifting" is?

Basically just shifting without the clutch.

Generally, it's more correct to do it where the gears spin at a similar speed so it's a more seamless transition to the next gear in the case of cars.

I personally don't see an advantage in not using the clutch. Whenever I miss a shift, it hiccups and is slower than actually using the clutch. On top of that, the clutch plays a crucial role in going fast when you can master feathering it to control the power coming out of turns.