how do u get the cylinder out of your cone

ineedabin2

Jul 21, 2008
I WOULD LIKE TO KNOW HOW HARD OR EASY IT IS TO GET THE CYLINDER OUT OF THE CONE the scoring is way to deep to cut and I really do not want to buy another one unless I have to so this is my questionI would like to take the cylinder out of it, LMK thanks

oh, well if thats the case i hope you are an experienced machinist who has sleeved and bored cylinders before, cause other wise you cant

oh, well if thats the case i hope you are an experienced machinist who has sleeved and bored cylinders before, cause other wise you cant

Yep, they bore them paper thin and chip them out, then the jug is honed to have the cylinder PRESS fit to .003"-.004", then when it's CLEAN!!! the jug is heated (HOT!!!) and the sleave is chilled (FROZEN!) and they are pressed together and as the temps equalize the press fit holds it all in place.

not really a DIY type thing and this is coming from a guy who considers almost anything DIY including most dental and some medical procedures.
i have rebuilt a few engines before and i do almost all my own work on anything i own and im here to tell you. thats a job for a machine shop.

not really a DIY type thing and this is coming from a guy who considers almost anything DIY including most dental and some medical procedures.
i have rebuilt a few engines before and i do almost all my own work on anything i own and im here to tell you. thats a job for a machine shop.

ya thats exactly right...i would take it to a shop because its gonna be easier and cheaper that way than it would to buy an all new top end if you ended up screwing something up

yup, you need to have it bored over at a machine shop. you dont need a new sleeve. just by a bigger piston(say, maybe .010 over) and have the machine shop bore the cylinder for that piston.

I WOULD LIKE TO KNOW HOW HARD OR EASY IT IS TO GET THE CYLINDER OUT OF THE CONE the scoring is way to deep to cut and I really do not want to buy another one unless I have to so this is my questionI would like to take the cylinder out of it, LMK thanks

if the scoring is very deep, just look for a new cylinder from ebay... your head will fit it. you can probably find one pretty cheap.

if you do buy a new or used jug, go to a machine shop and let them hone it for you.

it was not that bad after all ,only took .30 out

I took it to a machine shop and they bored the cylinder out to 30 over which is .75 MM .and I just want to thank you guys for answering all of my questions on this subject , I thought if yoy just heated it up nice and hot you cand take it out m to much like work it is a machine shop job for sure , anyhow I got it all bck together and am almost ready to start it up , thanks again guys this is a great site and much help from you all ,