How do hole shots hold up on the street?

BustedassYZ

Apr 6, 2010
New Port Richey, Florida
I know the street tears most tires up, but Ive got a nice riding spot 2 mins away from my house, and my current off brand tires are starting to really show wear from it. My fronts are about bald, the rears aint that bad considering how much pavement they see. I wanna get some hole shots but if there gonna just get shredded I'll just get the off brand tires. What do you all think? And how much better are hole shots gonna be over these Kendas Ive got now? http://traxms.com/082840874A1-p-ATV-Products-Tire-Brand_Kenda-FrtMax-K284.html

you hit the nial on the head saying that the pavement is gonna tear up anytire. Some worse than other based upon how soft the rubber compound in them is. I would say look and read around and try to figure out a tire that a a harder rubber compound, but with that you will see a decrease in off-road capabilities, so its kind of a win-lose situation. They way I look at it is where is my bike gonna be more often, dirt-softer compound, pavement, get something harder. Another option is not to ride on the road at all and stay more toward the ditch staying in the dirt/gravel.

alot of the reason the road eats up tires is because of the heat generated from speeds on the pavement. if you could do like stated above and ride in the grass alongside the road you would save some. but the best thing you can do is get friendly with a motocross team and buy their used tires for cheap. i got a set of turf tamer rears for the cost of shipping before from a team that used them a few races and was junking them.
also turf tamers are cheap, they wear as quickly as anything else but are less expensive and can be cut to your likeing.

No good solution, I hate ridin on the pavement for just that reason. Like said if ya get harder rubber ya loose some in the dirt.

Tires for crosscountry racing would stand up better than tires for motocross. Just saying Holeshots is like saying Chevrolet. ITP makes several styles of tires under that name.
I believe the GNCCs are the toughest Holeshots they make right now.

Tires for crosscountry racing would stand up better than tires for motocross. Just saying Holeshots is like saying Chevrolet. ITP makes several styles of tires under that name.
I believe the GNCCs are the toughest Holeshots they make right now.
I think HD's are their toughest, I saw a zilla last week with a set of 20" HD's and they were a tough looking tire!

But holeshots aren't really THAT great, they seem to be heavy and wear really fast. Surprisingly enough I've been able to make my razr cross's last over a year and thats trail riding on everything from sand to boulders.... pretty damn good for a lightweight mx tire, and the sidewalls are beefy as hell. I think my next set will probably be regular 18" razr's, they seem to last a long time for what they are.
But you also want to take into account what and where you ride, 20"s are a much better choice ( unless you love 18"s like me) they last alot longer. I'd look into some kenda's or stock trx450r tires (but then you need a 9" rim for those).

i had holeshots and loved them. had them on my zilla road on the road all the time, they were worn down but they still did good. only problem i had was the rubber freezing in the winter.
had holeshots on my warrior, it offered great traction.
i ride on the road a lot around my house, but i usually keep my tires airs up more than most, more air, less sidewall flex, less heat, blah blah blah.

I think HD's are their toughest, I saw a zilla last week with a set of 20" HD's and they were a tough looking tire!

QUOTE]

Yep, I forgot about the HD's. I wasn't really recommending holeshots over any other, just answering the question that was asked. The best thing to do would be check some mags (dirtwheels, atv action, etc) where they have done some shootouts for off-road tires.

These are the tires I was looking at. ITP Holeshot ATV Tire | Rocky Mountain ATV/MC

The thing with my quad is I like to just hop on it and go, not worry about loading up and taking it somewhere. My Dirt bike I only ride at the track, and I'm worred about performance from it so I keep it off the street. My Stock Blaster kinda sucks off road, so I'm not as worried about performance. Its all a trade off. Picking a tire is tough for me because I ride alot of street and want it to last but all the offroad trails here in Florida are just soft and sandy, and I know that's alot to ask from a tire to do well in both.

I guess I'm gonna be replacing tires alot no matter what since I street ride. Might as well get the one that preforms better offroad. Any suggestion on a good intermediate terrain tire?

hell i always thought cheng-shin made the hardest tires around butt i found this artical on the maxxis big horn give it a look and this is it's review.....

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

MAXXIS BIGHORN ATV TIRE REVIEW

Living in an ATV friendly state like West Virginia really has its advantages. We can legally ride on practically any road that does not have a center line. Having this ability translates into an infinite amount of trail access. Riding toall these trails means we ride quite a bit on blacktop. Unfortunately, ATV tires wear out faster than car and truck tires.
Over the past few years I have gone through many different types of tires. My tire of choice is normally one with aggressive lugs that was designed for the mud. This type of tire fit the bill quite nicely. Unfortunately, the tires seemed to wear quickly and required me to replace them before I (or really my wallet) was ready to.
I sought out to conduct my own research or quest so to speak for a tire that was neither a dedicated mud tire or a tame little trail tire.
I based my research on the following criteria:

Aggressive tread design, but not a mud tire
Weight
Wear characteristics
Durability
I wanted a tread design that was more aggressive than stock, but not as aggressive as a mud tire. Another key element of the tread design was the need for the tire to have a center. This design provides a smooth ride on the pavement and hard pack trails. The last thing I wanted to do was add a lot of unsprung weight, this meant my new tires needed to stay under 35 lbs. per tire. Rubber compound was another area I needed to pay close attention too. I wanted a tire that was going to give me more than 1000 miles of tread life. Very few tires can do this in my opinion without showing a lot of wear. Lastly, I needed a tire that was durable. I am very hard on tires and for some reason I’m always the guy in the group who gets a punctured sidewall. Quite frankly, that was starting to get old.
With all of the above criteria in mind I began my research on the web. Searching through forum after forum, I kept coming up with the Maxxis Bighorn. Everyone has always touted this tire as being the “best all around tire” and “tough as nails.” But was it really? I think I just narrowed my quest down to one.
At first glance, the Maxxis Bighorn looked just like an ordinary tire to me. Not extremely aggressive, but aggressive enough to tackle nearly all of my riding needs. My decision was made, I was going to give these tires a try