how can i improve powerband

fox396

Feb 3, 2011
pa
is there a way to get a blasters powerband to hit harded? blasters powerband are basically non-existant from my experience and im looking for a way to make it slap me in the face. is there a way to make it hit?

my buddies 99 has porting and a toomey and has a very noticeable powerband. when it hits you'd better hold on. hope mine does just as good. *fingers crossed*

is there a way to get a blasters powerband to hit harded? blasters powerband are basically non-existant from my experience and im looking for a way to make it slap me in the face. is there a way to make it hit?

Having a strong powerband that hits isn't exactly a good thing on trails. You will be falling in and out of it and if you are on the gas going through a corner and the powerband snaps on, it can lurch forward out of control. It's more of a hassle and what most people try to avoid having. Ask the Banshee owners about that......they know all too well and so do I have a riding a few T5 shees and hitting the powerband in 2nd and 3rd gear and about rocketeering off into a set of trees.

Even so, a top end pipe will have a powerband that "hits" more and you can find some ways to keep it from being overly dramatic while still pulling hard at top. My LRD pulls pretty hard from 1/2 throttle up to almost full throttle, but softens the impact a little by coming on a little over 1/4 throttle. A Toomey pipe is an interesting one. It revs pretty quickly and freely on a stock engine and can pull pretty hard once you are in it especially going through the gears but Toomey did a fairly good job in not making it TOO peaky like they did with the T5s on the shee. Typical porting and any of the other internal engine mods will too.

Having a strong powerband that hits isn't exactly a good thing on trails. You will be falling in and out of it and if you are on the gas going through a corner and the powerband snaps on, it can lurch forward out of control. It's more of a hassle and what most people try to avoid having. Ask the Banshee owners about that......they know all too well and so do I have a riding a few T5 shees and hitting the powerband in 2nd and 3rd gear and about rocketeering off into a set of trees.

Even so, a top end pipe will have a powerband that "hits" more and you can find some ways to keep it from being overly dramatic while still pulling hard at top. My LRD pulls pretty hard from 1/2 throttle up to almost full throttle, but softens the impact a little by coming on a little over 1/4 throttle. A Toomey pipe is an interesting one. It revs pretty quickly and freely on a stock engine and can pull pretty hard once you are in it especially going through the gears but Toomey did a fairly good job in not making it TOO peaky like they did with the T5s on the shee. Typical porting and any of the other internal engine mods will too.

and my stock pipe pulled 1/2 to full throttle also.
mid to top pipe or low to mid power pipe has to do with rpm range nothing to do with throttle postion.

full throttle half throttle almost no throttle your not going to skip any rpms you cant just by pass 3k and jump to 7k

im trying to figure out what 1/2 throttle or full throttle have to do with how your pipe pulls my stock one did what your saying your lrd does

im trying to figure out what 1/2 throttle or full throttle have to do with how your pipe pulls my stock one did what your saying your lrd does

RPMS are directly correlated to engine load and throttle position for a specific engine. As an example, A T5 shee, will hit the powerband and the power will surge around a given RPM around 3/8th throttle or thereabouts. Even if you have the throttle pinned, it is dependent upon where the RPMs are reached as the powerband hits.......directly correlated to about 3/8th throttle. So if you are putting around the trails and are blipping the throttle to stay in the powerband you know around 3/8th throttle and above is where you want to stay in order to maintain that RPM range and above to stay within the power. Falling in an out of it causes surging.

Whether you say a given RPM range or throttle position doesn't matter in the same load specific period for both.

Is that one of them rubber bands in de carb and you can just tighten it up to make it go faster hu huhhh:)

If your running the stock carb and jetted correctly to your mods just raise the needle.Blasters are really not that fast and really not that great for trail riding any way.Its a little 2 stroke with a seriously small stroke that was original design was from a smaller motor I believe and they just threw a larger piston and matched porting.I think its been a while Ive had mine since I was a kid but still have it.Power band is full throttle or 1/3rd to full when its running at its peek performance.But keep in mind its a 2 strok they are ment to burp on not be held at such high rpm.The blaster is just what it is the snappy blasty.4 strokes rull the trails as they have a broader hp threw out the rpm range.2 strokes hp kicks in on the higher side of the rpm range as is pretty narrow and is also considered the power band its either put or gooowwww.You want that power band to kick in with such a small motor.The power band will get you out of trouble going around corners helps break traction its a blaster not a 490 rut deamon.Learn to ride:)

Last edited:
Lightening the flywheel will get you through the RPM's quicker, a set of single stage reeds will make it feel stronger when they open up and a top end pipe will let it pull longer once it gets there. Basically take the list of mods and trail rider does to a MX bike and do the opposite.

Is that one of them rubber bands in de carb and you can just tighten it up to make it go faster hu huhhh:)

If your running the stock carb and jetted correctly to your mods just raise the needle.Blasters are really not that fast and really not that great for trail riding any way.Its a little 2 stroke with a seriously small stroke that was original design was from a smaller motor I believe and they just threw a larger piston and matched porting.I think its been a while Ive had mine since I was a kid but still have it.Power band is full throttle or 1/3rd to full when its running at its peek performance.But keep in mind its a 2 strok they are ment to burp on not be held at such high rpm.The blaster is just what it is the snappy blasty.4 strokes rull the trails as they have a broader hp threw out the rpm range.2 strokes hp kicks in on the higher side of the rpm range as is pretty narrow and is also considered the power band its either put or gooowwww.You want that power band to kick in with such a small motor.The power band will get you out of trouble going around corners helps break traction its a blaster not a 490 rut deamon.Learn to ride:)

I giggled at the first little joke, however the longer one left me for dead, I am still waiting for the punch line.:-/