Hot Rods +4 Cranks for $135!!

Linkwarr

Nov 15, 2011
Asbury, NJ
Have you guys seen the Hot Rods +4 cranks flooding ScamBay for @135?? I snagged one last night. I was ready to pull the trigger on the +3 Vitos when they popped up. I'll trench the case with a router, I just need to find the right bit for it. I have a couple trashed cases that I'll play on before fiddling with my good cases.

Please post some pictures of these cases when u trench them with a router

also i would probable advise against trying that.....

I have a box of broken cases so if it doesn't work I'm no worse off then when I started. I'll just take my time and keep walking the bit down until it's deep enough. Carbide bits easily cut through aluminum.

Use this search string "yamaha blaster stroker 4105" to pull up a few of the listings and sort by lowest price + shipping. I selected the place with the closest location and best reputation. Here's one of them, but right now I see three listing all with the same price and free shipping.

4105 Stroker Crankshaft Yamaha Blaster 88 06 Hotrods | eBay

I'll run a few tests on the case trenching tonight. I have a dremmel based router plate with a roller guide that I use for guitar binding. I can use a variety of bits with it. I'm sure something will work, it just may take a bit of patience.

Last edited by a moderator:
Does anyone have a guesstimate for the depth of the cut for the trenching on a +4? I'll get a carbide bit with replaceable guide bearings but I'd like to be in the ball park so I can get as close as possible on the first try and then inch up to the 20 thousandths clearance that I need.

I ran a few tests today with a simple spiral flute bit and it cut the aluminum with ease. Once I have the right bit this should be a simple cut.

Give me a call at the shop today and I’ll give you exact measurements. I have them written down in “The Book”. I understand your thinking behind this and feel you may have some success. Here are a few issues you may run into:
The crankcase of the Blaster is a casting with a hole bored very close to its center for the crankshaft bearing. I’m pretty sure (not looking at “The Book”) that we open the case diameter 3mm to accept the longer 4mm stroke crankshaft. We do this off of the machined surface for the outer bearing race, not the inside of the case. Our initial cut is usually about .030” or .015” per side. Even with a cut this big, the case never cleans up in less than 2 cuts. This tells us that the inside of the crankcase isn’t concentric to the hole bored for the crank bearing outer race. The other issue is the case isn’t perpendicular to the hole for the bearing. This is the reason that some 3mm cranks will fit with no grinding and some won’t.
When trenching the case, you’re going to find that it gets paper thin in two areas. The first is where the locating pin that aligns the cases is and the other is the area between the case and the counter balance shaft. You want to be very careful in both of these areas. You want to keep the area as thick as possible and still have the .020” of clearance.
We already know that both cases are castings. The chances that they’re both the same are slim to none and Slim just left town. After the cases are both opened up 3mm, the freshly machined surface of the cases will need to parallel to each other in order to seal correctly.
I wish you the best of luck and feel it will work if you have almost mirror cases and if the bearing holes are almost dead on center with the crank case ID.

Just to close this out... I received the crank and mounted it up to see how deep the cuts needed to be. It could definitely be done with a router but as Ken was stating in the previous thread, the walls would be razor thin, particularly at the counterbalance cut. I already have several cases that have damage from piston skirts blowing through the crank case and one where the counterbalance bearings wore out and popped a hole back into the crankshaft well. So bottom line, I decided to return the HR +4 and get the Vitos +3. The HR cranks seemed to be very well made, it's a shame that it requires such extensive modifications.