home made tracked vehical

blasterkid89

Jan 2, 2009
good old canisteo ny
me and my uncle Scottie( other side of the family this time haha) well anyways we were looking on ebay for go cart parts an d we came across these plans for building ur own PTV (personal tracked vehicle) so we got to thinking and remembered that they sell go cart and mini bike parts in northern tool, and manufacture supply, we would be using snowmobile tracks and cutting the two out side bands off and using the center band that has the drive teeth in it, as far as the drive train ive got that all figured out so it has to operate like a dozer locking up each independent track when needed to turn, the motor would be a 6.5 hp OHV, its a # 41 comet clutch on the engine and a jack shaft that goes from the 10 tooth’s comet sprocket to a 20 tooth # 41 sprocket on the jack shaft then over from the other smaller 10 tooth jack shaft sprocket forward to the main 60 tooth drive sprocket that’s on the front separate drive axles, priced all the materials ect.. and its gonna cost about $600 in parts ect...

Here is a picture that i had sketched outta my head in the car one day then the other day i decided to sit down on pain and sketch it out a little neater i haven’t got went trough and priced all the drive parts with the motor, getting used tracks and idlers from a friend,and using snowmobile parts i got for free for the rest

heres what i have drawn and built so far, next is the frame from 1x2" square tubing

heres one u cna buy the plans from ebay
trackcart.jpg

then my own plans i drew up on paint

Image1.jpg

tankfrontdriveassembly.jpg

trackedvehical2.jpg

torque3.jpg

1z.jpg

4x6 "bearing flange plates
FP042509a003.jpg

FP042509a002.jpg

FP042509a005.jpg

FP042509a008.jpg

so what ya think?

Reactions: cbaber
yeah only thing i chaged from the plans is that its going to have a another jack shaft that runs from the torque verter assembly then from a jack shaft behind the engine then back to the front jack shaft that goes to the two front snowmobile belt driven axles

yeah mig fun its taken me a little bit to learn but it is pretty easy after a while, just gotta have a steady hand and take ur time, now TIG its toaltally different story, im yet to still be practicing

but i will keep everyone posted i am hoping to get it completly done and painted but mid suumer, and i will def take pics for others

heres a couple pictures of the general idea of what the drive train will look like (the front drive asembly will have the front of the frame bent up @ a 45 degree angle so that the break caliper has good ground clearence, then i will use 1/8 plate for the bearing hangers ect..
FP042909a021.jpg

FP042909a023.jpg

FP042909a024.jpg

thxs yeah i love welding always something to be welded thats for shure i am ordering the tubing this week so hopefully it will be here mon or tues and i can take it up to boces and get it cut and get the frame all welded together then i can go from there to get a rolling chassis hopefully in about a week or two

the secondary clutch will be in the center of the jack shaft, i might have to make my own key way slot but thats no biggie, then i have drill presses and other tools @ boces to get the majority of the work done we still have about a month of school left
FP042909a003.jpg

FP042909a004.jpg

yeah i will post pics, as i go i am hoping to get the entire thing done in about 3 weeks or so, but we;ll have to see if i can get the $ for the 6.5hp ohv motor for $160 and $200 for comet clutch assembly

if anyone has a 3/4" comet assembly let me know i am looking to buy one as well

yeah lol, then for winter i have 2 other set of the same exact track, that i gotta stud have about 196 used studs so eventually i will put the studs in the track, idk how studs would really work in the mud, but i could probably trow them on in 5 mins and give em a try lol

heres kinda where i got my idea of building the tracked vehiccal except my version, my uncle nad i are gonna use it in the woods for getting wood, trapping, hunting ect..., eventully i wana get a patened on it

one i saw on you tube

Last edited by a moderator:
eventually i will get a bigger motor but a new 6.5hp OHV engine from harbor freight is only $160 so i will use that motor and with all the different gear ratios in the drivetrain it should have some torque rather than speed, eventually i will step up to a bigger motor but well se how well everything works i don't see any problems so far cant wait to get it done i just got the 4"x6" bearing hanger plates sheered today @ the fab shop so i gotta get them cut out w/ a 2 1/4 hole saw bit and drill the holes out for the 3 bolt bearing flanges so thats what I'll probably do tonight after work on the drill press