Help with new blaster

K

KQ4Brad

I just picked up a 00 blaster from a guy. Heres my problem. It wont start when cold it has to be drug and jump started then it has no power just mostly bogs and wont idle, it will stay towards the upper rpms ok but the lower rpms arent there. I have to always give it gas to get it to stay running. The TORS is out by the throttle but i think thats it. Could by problem just be that my carb needs cleaning or what do you guys think??? This is my first post here so im looking for your opinions.

well if you picked up the blaster from far away or a lower elevation your jetting is definantly off.
it sounds like you need a higher pilot jet
is the airbox lid on?
if the airbox lid is still on dont bother with the pilot just take off the airbox lid and try it again

If the machine is still stock, then a change in altitude probably wouldn't have enough effect to cause the problems you are experiencing. You could clean the carb to make sure all the jets are open and not plugged. If a pilot jet was plugged it could cause poor performance at low speeds.

You could also do a compression check on the motor. It may need to be overbored and have a new piston installed. Some motors that are really worn out will not run at low rpm, but will manage to run (poorly) if you can get them to rev up.

I only bought it from about 80 miles away from me so i dont think elevation would come into play. The guy said that it was running great until he starting going through mud puddles really fast and ever since then it hasnt run right and has been sitting ever since, like almost 2 years because he didnt know how to work on it and i just bought it for $600.

I cleaned the carb and drained the old gas and it still runs the same way. Blasterbum when you say re-jet what exactly do you mean? I havent been able to check the compression yet either so that would be my next step. I also found out that its a 2001 instead of a 2000. I checked the reeds too and they look ok to me there was a bunch of black stuff around them though

Im getting a compression tester tomm so i will be able to check the compression. flooded--I tried to start it today AFTER i pressure washed it and it wouldnt start, there was a lil bit of water inside the engine so im in the process of getting it cleaned out, i took the carb back off and cleaned it out again. One question for you guys the very bottom screw on the side of the carb what does it control? I took it out and the end of it was sorta smashed. When i try to start it it sometimes sounds like it farts out the exhaust what is that all about?? Sorry for all the questions. I wish it had EFI like my Kingquad

I can get it to start without being pulled but yes it will be tested today.. How do i measure the compression? Do i just kick it over once and look at it or 2 or 3 times?

get a comp tester from autozone. unscrew your sparkplug and thread the guage into the park plug hole. Make sure it is sealed tight. Get on the bike. Whith the key off and the killswitch engaged,kick the bike over about 20 times while holding the throttle wide open(a must for an accurate reading) Then check the guage and let us know the number

I did just like you said fastLANE and i got 75PSI. I guess its time for a rebuild. Now my other question would be do i get a standard rebuild kit or a oversize? Do i have to hone out the cylinder? and if i do do i need oversize piston and rings? Ive never rebuilt one before as you can tell

Last edited by a moderator:
Has anybody else seen them run with 75psi compression? I can get mine to run with that low of compression but not good. That is prob also why i cant get it to idle. I was gonna start with a carb rebuild kit but now im gonna go the other way eng rebuild first then carb kit if needed.

Well i took the top end apart tonight and found my problem. The bottom part of the piston facing the exhaust was broke off and the top ring was missing. I figured the cylinder wall would be all scarred to hell, but not a scratch on it. I did find part of the rings inside the header pipe and also something else bigger thats stuck in there (part of the piston). I guess i got real lucky. Im still gonna get it bored out .010 over just to be on the safe side.

Well i took the top end apart tonight and found my problem. The bottom part of the piston facing the exhaust was broke off and the top ring was missing. I figured the cylinder wall would be all scarred to hell, but not a scratch on it. I did find part of the rings inside the header pipe and also something else bigger thats stuck in there (part of the piston). I guess i got real lucky. Im still gonna get it bored out .010 over just to be on the safe side.

ah dude you also should get the head milled thts where your gonna get power :) I:I

check behind your flywheel your stator may have been contaminated since your bro was a puddle jumper.

Im getting it bored out .020 over and getting the Wiseco piston kit. How would you flush out the crank area?