help 2 new used blasters

bigorangebuggy

Apr 6, 2012
ive just bought 2 blasters for my kids from 2 different people but bth seem to be having same problems carbs.... just purchased 2 kits soaked and cleaned one has oil injection still installed one doesnt one has the 96 has a quick disconnect shutoff with lanyard the other is all stock from what i can see its a 02-3 not sure the 03 has boyesen reeds from what i can see they look good the 96 has stock reeds so as i can tell should they lye completely flat on the cage or should there be a lil gap in the reeds or lye flat on the cage i dont notice any cracks or warpage any help woyld be gratly apprecated as im am very mechanically inclined i build race motors but new to 2 strokes i figured they just needed some tlc i picked the 96 on craigs and the 02 from a friend i drove the 96 but noticed a bog in it figured it was damn ethanol

reeds should lay flat if they are warped at all just flip them around and use a tiny bit of locktight on the screws so they dont fall out. make sure you have the right size mains and the pilot jet is clean and i run the clip on the needle one from the middle and filter is clean and not over oiled dont think the ethanol would cause any issues i run pump gas with up too 10% of ethanol with no problem

Yuuuup. The reeds should sit flat with no gaps. 03 and up Blasters have disc brakes on the front . The two most important things to learn is jetting the carb coerrectly and doing a leak down test.

thanks im gonna try this yeah i read ur thread to build a leak down tester gonna do that today thanks im triin to fix these and get a motor done today for a customer to run sat night thanks all that reply

ok i pulled the reeds off 96 and one bolt was out of reeds looked in case and watched it roll into bottom of case am i gonna have to pull motor apart or does it have a sidecover removable

Reactions: Larry's Shee
ok i pulled the reeds off 96 and one bolt was out of reeds looked in case and watched it roll into bottom of case am i gonna have to pull motor apart or does it have a sidecover removable

damnnnn that sucks! You might be able to fish it out if you pull the top end. If not you will have to split the case, but WAIT! DOn't do anything before somebody confirms it :D

Slowly roll the motor to TDC and try a flexible extension magnet through the intake port. Worse case pull the cylinder and go fishing. Even worse you'll have to split the cases. Get your self a Clymers repair manual or find the linc to the download manual. Dam lucky you saw it happen, that little screw could have been death to it.

Gonna give you some green for being such a good father I:I I:I I:I

If you cant fish it out, you may be able to turn it upside down and gently rock the flywheel to and from, it may just coax the little beggar out.

If that don't work you could try flushing out with a heavy mix of oil and gas.

If you do this pour a couple of caps full of two stroke oil back in the case to replentish the oil you washed out.

thanks guys gonna try that today got other job out so now i can concentrate on kids stuff lol the important customers

well got the newer 02 up and runnin had to flip the reeds so gonna order new ones today also got the bolt out but found some wear on the cylinder and when i put it back together it had low compression only about 110 lbs it also had good low rpm torque but acted like it was runnin out in the higher rpms maybe a airleak or is it low comp i reused the headgasket could that also cause problems it was sunday lol im considering tearing it down and and getting it bored there a place 1 mile from my house that does it summit off road he said 130 for boring and wiseco piston just some help would be greatly appreciated this forum is great thaks for all the help

110 is fine and it should still rip with that compression.

Not a smart idea to re use a head gasket unless you softened it by heat treatment. It is good practice to use a new one.

Did you do a leak down test after assembly?

Did you do a plug chop?