head mod questions

larz_davis

May 2, 2013
Lansing, MI
Hey guys, I have some questions, I want to get more power out of my blaster and i see a lot about a head mod. Who does those, how much do they cost, and if i get a head mod do I also have to do other things to my blaster? Like rejet?

No changes are needed for the head mod, besides using a new or annealed head gasket ! As mentioned leak test should be performed ! I believe the cost was $65 or $75 which includes the cost to have it shipped back to you. Ken O'Connor does great work and has great customer service/support.

I fitted a torodial cut head and it required one size smaller main jet and an idle adjust.

After fitting the head with a new gasket ( don't risk a used one ) you need to heat cycle and re tension the head bolts.

Plug chop to confirm jetting.

I fitted a torodial cut head and it required one size smaller main jet and an idle adjust.

Interesting. Ive always thought this to be the case. A redesigned head actually makes your motor more efficient at the combustion process, thus using less fuel to do more work than before.

It was a surprise to me, I usually run one size jet richer than most, but with the re chambered head it babbled and burbled and just would not run well.

Well if you think about it, the whole idea of the new head is to get the fuel and air to mix better, allowing for better (more efficient) combustion. If you succeed in doing that by redesigning the head, your motor will now need less fuel than before to create a combustion event of the same magnitude as before. This is because almost all of the fuel is burnt because of it being mixed much better than before.

Less fuel wasted in other words. Cleaner running.

Go Green, mod your head!

Whats the real gain? Is it more power speed etc cause im confused but i understand fuel and what not but other than a shat ton of compression i dont get what it does

Because of a more efficient burning of the fuel charge the resulting explosion is greater, therefore more power is produced.

Thanks, do you have to do anything after getting the head mod besides bolt it back on?

Yes, you have to set the squish gap, the distance from piston to quench (or squish) area on the head. This is done by taping soft solder across the top of the piston and rotating the flywheel by hand. The flattened solder should measure close to but not under 0.030" or 0.75mm. Any less and you risk mechanical collision and damage from the compression shock and heat load into the piston (oops, there I go with complicated answers to simple questions). Over 0.060" or 1.5mm is too much clearance and loses the squish effect. The gap is set by adjusting the base gasket height (which affects porting height too remember) or by cutting, shaving or shimming the head.

The next thing of course is a leak test before you run and a plug chop to nail down jetting.

Steve