Head Gasket Trouble

seanblaster

May 5, 2013
Ottawa IL
I just got an 88 and its bored out to 67.50.
It wasnt running the best so I took the head off to find out that there was no head gasket there!
Well when I got the Blaster the guy gave me lots of parts and one of those being a brand new head gasket. Figured i just had to throw it on there and id have some power right!? NO.
I went to put it on and the holes for the bolts were not big enough for the bolts to go through so i need a new one im assuming and that is the reason that the previous owner didnt have one on there.
So im going to have to find one that fits or drill out the holes. But first, do i need a larger gasket because mine has been bored over?

Sounds like the wrong gasket, or the PO has replaced the studs for a larger size.

Although you could drill out the holes a new gasket would be a better option.

I don't have studs and nuts, i have allen head bolts that go through the head from the top. do they usually have studs and nuts? Maybe its different because its an 88. Thats pretty old. Or if they took out the studs and converted to bolts they would have to be a little oversized which makes sense if thats the case.

Good to know i dont have to search for a special gasket because of the bore though.

It sounds like the PO has fitted oversize fastenings, they are studs and nuts on all Blasters no matter the year.

If the fastenings are oversize then the torque settings will have undoubtedly changed.

It would pay to search for the recommended settings for the oversized bolts.

It looks like a drill the gasket holes to suit the bolts.

I would suggest getting studs to fit the threads in cylinder and install with loctite. Highly unlikely to wear the stud/nuts out, but you could damage the cylinder threads if you were to have to service the head much. Why take the chance. Make sure the bolts that came with it thread into hole correctly and take one with you to match up with a stud, they may not be metric.