hard starting

iLikeIke

Jun 6, 2012
southern wisconsi
freshly rebuilt and fixed my ignition a bit ago, so comprsesion, air leaks should not be an issue

i checked the reeds and while there is a tiny gap, i dont suppose they should cause that much of an issue but are getting old

what should i start checking?

runs fine after it starts

i am also around 24;1 oil ratio for the first tank on 3 month old gas i will fill it up with mid grade and run 32;1 tomorow

using b8es plug, used to run br9es and never had a problem, should i run br9es?

typicall summer weather around 80's

freshly rebuilt and fixed my ignition a bit ago, so comprsesion, air leaks should not be an issue

i checked the reeds and while there is a tiny gap, i dont suppose they should cause that much of an issue but are getting old

what should i start checking?

runs fine after it starts

i am also around 24;1 oil ratio for the first tank on 3 month old gas
i will fill it up with mid grade and run 32;1 tomorow

using b8es plug, used to run br9es and never had a problem, should i run br9es?

typicall summer weather around 80's

drain that sh!t out and get fresh gas, youll gum your carb.

as far as hard start, is it the kickstarter thats hard, because the spring in there couldve slipped a bit and that could be causing it.

kicking it is easy, its kicking it 50 times to get it started haha

it also burps and backfires a bit (not a full backfire but enough to make a pop)

but what stumps me is that it runs like a champ after starting. ill clean carb and throw fresh non ethanol gas in er sometime later

that gap in the reeds will cause hard starting and backfiring too
try flipping the petals on the cage till you can get new ones

i am also around 24;1 oil ratio for the first tank on 3 month old gas i will fill it up with mid grade and run 32;1 tomorow

Be aware that changing your oil ratio will upset the air fuel ratio.

Fortunatly you will end up on the safe side, less oil = more fuel.

For optium performance you should plug chop.

Why change from 24:1, you gain compression from an oil rich mix, more compression = more power.

if it is jetted correctly it will run just fine, if not better.

If it is jetted for 24:1 save yourself some work and run with it, I am one of the very few that run an oil rich mix.

If if it was jetted for 32:1 and you changed it to 24:1 to break it in you would have suffered a lean condition which could have damaged the piston.

Have you done a compression test.

Last edited:

Why change from 24:1, you gain compression from an oil rich mix, more compression = more power.

If it is jetted for 24:1 save yourself some work and run with it, I am one of the very few that run an oil rich mix.

This worries me, easy kicking, low compression, that rings a bell!

If if it was jetted for 32:1 and you changed it to 24:1 to break it in you would have suffered a lean condition which could have damaged the piston.

This worries me, easy kicking, low compression, that rings a bell!

it also burps and backfires a bit (not a full backfire but enough to make a pop)

but what stumps me is that it runs like a champ after starting.

Another bell rings, a slightly lean mix (which can be caused by adding more oil to the pre-mix), will make it run extremly well but slowly but surely fry the piston.

it was jetted for 32;1, and i was just throwing in some extra oil. the guy who had it before me jetted it for the pipe and no airbox lid, so im guessing thats good however i will still chop a plug

before i said it was "easy" to kick i meant its not hard as in binding or something. i can feel compression but i will check that as well. motor should be warm right?

i was reading about plug gap, ill try a smaller gap and if thats easier to start, something electrical is troubling me. if it makes no difference im blaming it on the reeds, which i flipped and tried for a no gap, but those are 10 something years old and ill order boyseen reeds tomorow for the heck of it

compression checks out at 120 after 4 kicks and the bore is as smooth as the most interesting man in the worlds pick up line.

even carbon on the piston however it is a little too oily for my liking, 32;1 is a must.

im starting to blame the reeds especially that its burping

If it was jetted for 32:1 and you changed to 24:1, you effectivily leaned it out by 1 size jet.

More oil = less fuel = lean = detonation = too hot = fried piston.

Extra oil without re-jetting is a killer.

Have you done a leak down test.

well new reeds are in and still no charm. made sure intake gaskets were good.

new plug as well, gapped to stock spec

this confuses me!! haha leak down test is next in order

Leak test, clean carb, set float level, adjust idle setting, and of course make sure you have a good spark at the right time.

Which brings up a question, has the flywheel spun, upsetting the timing?

i dont think the flywheel is off bein it runs great when it starts, but ill check. lookin for spark it sparks strong and blue

illl rip apart the carb n check float level bein the plug is wet when i checked it, after kicking and no start so possibly its flooding it a bit too much.

its also smokin a little too much unless my memory is off

it also burps n "backfires" every 3 kicks or so