Hard Knocks

saltysway

Jun 4, 2013
Hello everyone. This is my first time visiting the site and unfortunately it is for not so good reasons. I have a 1995 blaster. It has minimal hours, but when it does come out it gets pretty beat up. I have never followed any type of maintenance schedule other than changing out the transmission fluid. To make a long story short, today I over filled the transmission fluid. The symptom was oil was coming out from under the steering column. I drained the oil and added 22 ounces of Rotella 15w-40. I ran the blaster about an hour later nice and easy. When I hit the accelerator one good time it felt like something came loose. It was definitely a hard knocking noise that I could even feel in my feet. I pushed her home. The engine still runs, but knocks in neutral as well as first gear. Does anybody have any suggestions on where to start? This will be my first experience digging deeper into this thing other than the carb. Any input is greatly appreciated.

It could be a rod bearing gone bad. I would pull the spark plug and left side cover. Grab the flywheel and twist it back and forth to listen/ feel for play on the rod big end or wrist pin.

That sounds like a good place to start. I had to come into work for the evening so I will give that a try in the morning. I have all night to research the rod bearing on the internet. Thanks a lot for the quick reply. If in fact I do have play how bad is that? lol. I can't wait to dig into this thing, but don't want to get in to far over my head.

It sounds as though there is some play. As I twist the flywheel I can here and feel the dull sounding metallic clunks. So do you think this supports the rod bearing failure theory?

Take the reed block out and see if the piston is complete.

I have known pistons to not fully drop their guts, maybe only a little skirt material has been shed.

I pulled off the jug and the piston and cylinder wall seem to be nice and smooth. There also does not appear to be any up and down play in the rod bearing, only some side to side movement. The noise appears to be coming from inside the case. I attached a video, but not sure if it will help diagnose anything.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think I will move over to the clutch. The cylinder and connecting rod appear to be fine. I needed to pull the jug anyways to replace the lower cylinder gasket. There was also carbon build up on the cylinder head that could use some attention.

Found the issue. The balance gear liberated itself. The retaining ring fell out of the clutch cover when I removed it. Also when I was removing the clutch pressure plate the phillips head all thread that locks down the plate will just slide out. Maybe I accidentally unscrewed it?

Last edited by a moderator: