Good trails this weekend

GraffitiDan

Apr 14, 2009
East Lansing, Mi
I'm thinking of heading up to Leota this weekend. I've been on Abrose/Ogemaw and Grand Traverse with my bike but this is my first season with the quad. Any suggestions that is semi-close to Lansing?

DNR - ORV/ATV Trail Maps

Also any suggestions on places to camp near the trails would be cool too.

weather isnt suppose to be good but im going to lake county (just nw of lansing) riding the tin cup trail and little manistee trail. I'll be riding my blaster in my sig and my buddie will be on a banshee (also black and white) with a cool blue head and blue shock covers. So if u see us and wanna roll with, my name is nick and banshee guy is justin~ hope to see ya in the trails. I've never been to these said trails b4 but there wide enough for Full size ORV's So lots of room to ride~

Little manistee trail has Carrieville
Campground on its map~ look it up on google. Were staying in Evart

Last edited:
I hadn't checked out Lake County ... sounds like a good option; but I hear ya on the weather, not looking forward to 39 degree nights and 20mph winds.

The 'interactive map' is a good supplement to the 'trail map' to try to figure out where to camp. I think we're going to try to pull off camping on state land at "B" ... "A" is the parking lot for Leota Trails.

how was leota?

Lil manistee trail was awesome, not to crowded, lots of wops and mostly sandy but some dirt and a few bridges.
Tin cup was great as well. Saw the same people riding there as at lil manistee. Shorter loop but some nice little boggin pits at both locations. I saw a guy on a bike hydroplane like 40 feet across a boggin pit, pretty bad ass!!! ....then his buddy about 30seconds later ....lost it about 20 feet in and went over the bars and skipped like 10 feet across the water, very cool to see. He got right to his feet and was fine~ Great weekend of riding between public and private trail probaly road about 100-110miles!!! Blasty held up really nice, considering i was riding with my friend and his banshee.

that sounds awesome. leota was really good. we got in late ... like 11pm and we were going to try to camp out on some state land. my gps took us to the parking lot and we were just a couple hundred yards away from our destination. then the gps started taking us down the trail! it was pitch black, i've got a 8' foot trailer behind my jeep and we're going up whoops and around burms ... needless to say my sister and girlfriend were not happy. so after some pretty intense reversing around all of that we got back to the parking lot.

surprisingly there were 6-8 people and a fire going just beyond the fence. so we pulled up and asked if it was cool if we set up camp. they said there were pretty much no rules and there were 4 or 5 other fire pits around the parking lot where i guess people do this a lot. so we set up and joined them until like 2 am drinking and shooting the sh*t.

in the morning we hit the trails and it was great. it had rained that night so it was a bit muddy but not too crazy. the trails i would say are about 60% sand. some are through the woods and really nice on the bike (xt225) and the blaster was fine everywhere. i was jumping the whoops i was going so fast.

there was also a 'special use area' where they had about a 100 yard sand hill, 3 puddles up to 2 feet deep, and a really cool 360 burm.

overall it was great, and i'll be back. i think next on the list is bull gap.

NIce pics ! !

Bull Gap is a fun place to be.. The little hill climb is fun too... Especially when there is a god sized group there...

nice pics i like how wide open it looks like some of the areas are there. Thats badass~ Leota looks like a place on my list~ I went to bull gap and areas just north of mio/fairview area over the past weekend. Some good riding as usual. Been on those trails over 10 times and always a blast! I've notice alot of control burns and clear cuts in the woods in those areas. Guessing its cause of that emerald ash borer bettle thing. Some nice sites and tons of people riding. great memorial day weekend once again~