good starter street bike?

a 250?? seriously!!! you might as well get a moped and get even better fuel mileage and it will prolly handle better. a buddy of mine never rode a quad much less a bike bought a brand new 250 and he hated it after 2 weeks, ended up gettting a 600rr. they are turds big time. i would be more likely suggest a 500, they are still turds but not as bad. i would step straight to a 600 and never look back. they are still light and handle SUPERB, a 250 will never handle anywhere close to a 600r. if you drive it responsibly you wont have a problem. if you drive it like a retard your gonna end up on the pavement on either bike i promise you that. just because it hauls ass doesnt mean you need to. my first bike was a 99 zx9r and i never looked back. i took my time progressing my driving skills before i got too wild. always wore a leather jacket, full face helmet and some good boots. be responsible and you will be just fine on a bigger, better handling bike. OH AND DONT LET YOUR FRIENDS RIDE IT!!! wont be a couple months and youll be riding wheelies lol.....thats just my opinion if you dont think you can be a responsible rider than you really shouldnt be getting either, they will both get you dead just as fast. the MAJOr thing you have to look out for is not gonna be your riding its gonna be other drivers, they dont pay attention to bikes and most of the time they will pull out in front of you quick. i dont know how many times i almost crashed and i cant think of one time where it would have been my fault.

2l95q38.jpg

96ma6v.jpg

214p6q.jpg

30i9wxt.jpg

Last edited:
I would't want to get into the "Meat-Grinder" class as some older vetran riders call it. Look up a Buell blast their super cheap and they move but are a very forgiving bike when stock. If piped it gives you pretty good umph off the line to the next intersection. Their sporty looking and got good power and are cheap like 1,500 for a buell blast 500cc
2003 Buell Blast
would add a better picture but I'm pressed for timme. But I suppose you get the point

I like the idea. The smaller weight dual sport type motorcycles would be a great choice for a first bike. Just look for some good brakes. Some of the older models were still sporting the drum style brakes. I think if I had it to do over again, I would have gotten a dual sport for my first bike. They aren't as sexy as the sport bikes, but they sure have options for fun.

i had one for my first bike and it was perfect for the street, it had front hydro discs, but still a drum rear. Handled great and was pretty quick. The newer ttr230's are fuel injected, and for the price of a used one it can't really be beat. Still cheaper than most of what the older 250 ninja's go for around here.