good starter street bike?

save for atleast at 600cc bike. a 600 is a good starter, a 250 is a slow pile that you will get bored of in a matter of weeks and just end up losing money on IMO

save for atleast at 600cc bike. a 600 is a good starter, a 250 is a slow pile that you will get bored of in a matter of weeks and just end up losing money on IMO

BAD! NO! its illegal anyway! Most states have a restriction on age to cc, a 15yr old isn't technically legal on a 250 either, a 230 is the highest cc legally you can drive if your 15. (in Alabama anyway)

A 600 is way too much for most if not all 15yr olds, be safe and get a 250. Even better Stay off those death traps and get an enduro. You'll kill yourself on the street, dirt is a way softer landing than asphalt.

Not trying to flame anyone just trying to help out.;)

BAD! NO! its illegal anyway! Most states have a restriction on age to cc, a 15yr old isn't technically legal on a 250 either, a 230 is the highest cc legally you can drive if your 15. (in Alabama anyway)

A 600 is way too much for most if not all 15yr olds, be safe and get a 250. Even better Stay off those death traps and get an enduro. You'll kill yourself on the street, dirt is a way softer landing than asphalt.

Not trying to flame anyone just trying to help out.;)

By the time he has enough he will be old enough and hopefully mature enough. That's the angle I was working lol

It needs work so i figured by the time i got to fixing it it would be winter and i get my license then so i can ride it next summer. I want a 600 but this deal seams nice.... i am able to handle a 600 easily i have ridden i cbr1k thru 4th gear just about WOT but i lifts up so damn easy on a back road... its my uncles but im just saying

It needs work so i figured by the time i got to fixing it it would be winter and i get my license then so i can ride it next summer. I want a 600 but this deal seams nice.... i am able to handle a 600 easily i have ridden i cbr1k thru 4th gear just about WOT but i lifts up so damn easy on a back road... its my uncles but im just saying

Anyone can go fast in a strait line, it takes serious skill and balls to do that through turns.

Free country ( not really anymore tho X( ), so do what you like, i would personally jump on the deal and you'll have yourself a good bike. and dont move up too fast, MASTER that one and then upgrade to make it faster.. then once its modded out and you've mastered it with the goodies get a bigger bike if you think you're ready.

Worst advice I've read in a while! Start with a 250 and actually learn to ride the bike! An experienced rider on a 250 will be faster than a rookie on a 600. It's more than gun it in the straights and brake for your life once
you hit the twisties.

SQUID comment!

I bought a ninja 250 for my first street bike, and never looked back. Great starter bike. I would like to own another one now years later and many bigger bikes under the belt. They are loads of fun, and easy to handle. The ninja 250 isn't powerful enough to be too crazy on, but mine would do 114mph down a hill with the wind. You would be very much advised by me to get it, learn all you can, take the MSF course, get a service manual and take care of the bike from every angle. Trust your tires and get ready for endless fun on two wheels.

ATGATT go get some leather gear.....

Oh, and they get ridiculous fuel mileage. Just another great part of the classic ninja 250.
If I find one local to me for cheap, I am buying it. I actually just bought an older model 250, but it's a DR dual sport. Not as much fun, but more capable of hooliganism......

Just to note, my first reply was based on my personal opinion of the 250. Now that I have looked over the add you posted the link to, I have some doubts about that particular bike. I would be weary of a bike with a compression issue unless you have the fundage and perhaps knowledge to deal with it accordingly. The rust in the tank isn't much of an issue, but the rust in the carbs can be.

Oh, and don't stand too close, the guy mentioned he's having a problem with crabs :eek: :D

well probably every car that i have owned would smoke a nija 250.. but this is not a bad thing for a 1st time rider. as alreadt stated taking a quick rip up the road is alot different then getting out there and actually putting in serious riding on a superbike. my 1st bike was a yamaha (of course) seca2 600.. they area a mild 600cc bike... around 55-60hp i believe.. i had been riding bikes and quads since age 8.. i feel the 250 would be great.. but would get boring quickly. they also make a nija 500 that is tame.. suzuki has a 500cc twin starter sportbike.. (forget the model) another good one like i had would be a yamaha seca 600... i would not reccomend a full on race 600+ cc bike to any begginer. the newer 600s actually accelerate pretty close to the 1s... IMO that too much bike for a rookie. no offence meatnt to be had here... ride a tamer bike for a few years and a good many thousand miles before getting on something of superbike caliber.

rubber side down!

well probably every car that i have owned would smoke a nija 250.. but this is not a bad thing for a 1st time rider. as alreadt stated taking a quick rip up the road is alot different then getting out there and actually putting in serious riding on a superbike. my 1st bike was a yamaha (of course) seca2 600.. they area a mild 600cc bike... around 55-60hp i believe.. i had been riding bikes and quads since age 8.. i feel the 250 would be great.. but would get boring quickly. they also make a nija 500 that is tame.. suzuki has a 500cc twin starter sportbike.. (forget the model) another good one like i had would be a yamaha seca 600... i would not reccomend a full on race 600+ cc bike to any begginer. the newer 600s actually accelerate pretty close to the 1s... IMO that too much bike for a rookie. no offence meatnt to be had here... ride a tamer bike for a few years and a good many thousand miles before getting on something of superbike caliber.

rubber side down!

Yeah I agree a ninja 500 would be ok for a starter bike. They are slow but a lot easier to corner than the 600s and up for a beginner...I thought the 500 was slow I have no clue how much slower a 250 would be but that would get kind of boring. Get something like that and get used to it and move up.

IMO, wait until you have your license to buy a bike. Save your money until then, so that you can afford something more than $400 LOL. Yeah, you might not be able to take your bike out the day you get your license, but it will be worth the wait. Plus it won't have to sit until you get your license.

why not get a yamaha ttr230 or 225. they can be made street legal. some where sold with all the lights.

I like the idea. The smaller weight dual sport type motorcycles would be a great choice for a first bike. Just look for some good brakes. Some of the older models were still sporting the drum style brakes. I think if I had it to do over again, I would have gotten a dual sport for my first bike. They aren't as sexy as the sport bikes, but they sure have options for fun.

only thing with the dualsports they have much different ergonomics and handling charictaristics then a sportbike.