going to the dunes question

Racer51

May 19, 2011
Northwest Ohio
hey guys i was wondering if i should look into getting a set of rear sand tires and rims for my first trip to the dunes in a few months or if there more of an optional luxury item sort of thing. The way i figure it is if i go there a few times outta the year there a solid investment if i pick up a used set on ebay or something but if i only go once a year there not entirely worth it cause the speed difference wont be really noticable unless im riding full throttle all over the place having fun useing them all the time. So what id like to know is your guys opinion on useing them for your dune trips.

Also on a side note id appreciate some insite on rim and tire sizes for banshee/warrior/raptor350 hub bolt pattern rims and what size tires would work best for my blaster id like to keep it within 20X11-9's or8's or so. Links would be appreciated that sell them for a good price. $240 or less brand new used $150 or so with few uses.(i found some on ebay used for less than that but the paddles are chewed up) I can give stats on my blaster if anyone dosent know what i have into it thanks a ton guys. :D

Paddles help you go fast and put less strain on your engine if you are in deep sand. It seems like 20x11 stars are the best setup for all around performance and durability and haulers are the best for all out speed. I picked up a set of 20x11x10 trakkers with 20x7x10 gbc sharks on Douglas blue labels in great condition for $150 by trolling Craigslist for a couple months.

That's what the last number is (10" diameter) I'd check the width but I'm in Weed, CA right now : ) . IMO if you're going to buy paddles I'd find a set that's already mounted, it'll save you a lot of hassle swapping tires and it'll be an easy sale when you're done using them. What dunes are you going to be riding?

I think you would be very unhappy with yourself driving all the way to SL realizing that it sucked without paddles. There was a set just came up on CL for $70 mounted. Don't get more than 8 paddles, actually 7 would be better. You can actually have too much traction.

yea it would be a real bummer cause silver lake is easily 5hrs away from me. cool larry thanks for looking out yea thats my biggest concern. wheels swapping tires isint an issue for me also thats why im looking for rims and tires eather seperate or already mounted (shrug which ever way is cheaper)(got a tire changer at home.) so if i could get itp steel rims for 50shipped and gbc sand shark tires for 115 i would be doing ok then at $160 ish i dont think that these 3 will work but take a peek and let me know thanks guys

Sand snake Paddle Tires
ATV PADDLE TIRES AND RIMS
Like New! Used Once! Sand Paddle Tires With Rims
heres the ones im lookng at for putting together
2 20x11 9 GBC Sand Shark Paddle Tires 2 Tires Left Right Pair | eBay
Banshee Rims 9x8 | eBay
im pretty shure the rims are steel but let me know if they dont look like it.

Last edited by a moderator:
You definitely want to invest in paddles. I used to run my warrior without paddles but my buddy let me barrow a pair one time and they made a world of difference. The sand star's are real nice and have tread that keeps you from sliding down hill when side hilling which is great because it sucks if you eat it going down a hill. Investing in fonts also helps stering tramendisly because dirt tires don't have the grab to turn you quick enough if you have to avoid something quickly.

It doesn't look like any of those three sets are going to work. If you have a few months just be patient and you will find what you are looking for. Like Larry said get 7 or 8 paddles and try to get a set of aluminum wheels, the difference in unsprung weight makes a noticeable difference in performance.

paddles may make a difference but why spend the $ on them? if you know how to ride well you don't need them.

my friend can make test hill in 2wd in his 77 bronco. all he has is all terrains on it. personally i don't see why you need them.
If you have the money and plan on using them often do it but if you going to silver lake once a year save yourself some money

paddles may make a difference but why spend the $ on them? if you know how to ride well you don't need them

You could make this argument fit almost any modifications on a Blaster. Necessity really depends on how deep the sand you're riding is but IMO of you can get a good deal on used paddles they are worth every penny. Riding will be more enjoyable and you can get most of your $50~250 investment back if you ever sell them. I:I

Those do look good. From what I've read straight paddles are the best for hooking up and going straight while v paddles are better for throwing the quad around and play riding. These ones are molded rubber while the haulers and some others are shaved down and have the paddles glued on, they weigh more but are more durable. 51 says he has Banshee hubs, aren't those the same pattern as the Raptors and YFZ?

there supposed to be i believe as are raptor 350 660 700 and yfz450 i guess at least thats what the websites im looking through are telling me you see its hard to tell if there talking rims or hubs

while this topic is up...... is straight or angled paddles better???

obviously straight gets more grip, but wht do angled ones do for you??