Gearcase oil

DLStryker

Oct 18, 2012
Can you run Valvoline 20W-50 4-stroke synthetic oil in the Blaster gear case? Nephew changed my oil... now.. about a 1/2 gallon gas later my clutch is fried. Maybe it was just time for the clutch to go. Not sure.

The oil does not state it has friction modifiers. Here is what Valvoline says about the oil.

Valvoline 20W-50 4-Stroke Synthetic Motorcycle Oil:

Valvoline 4-Stroke 20W-50 Synthetic Motorcycle Oil is designed specifically for motorcycles. Motorcycles place special demands on engine oil that automotive oils are not designed to handle. The wet clutch system, high RPMs, temperatures and metals found in motorcycles require special properties for proper performance and protection, and Valvoline Synthetic Motor Oil is designed with wet-clutch protection in mind. Valvoline 4-Stroke Motorcycle Oil uses the high-quality synthetic base oils and advanced additives to bring out the best in your machine, heightening power transfer and providing smooth shifting.

I think it was just time for a new clutch. A tusk had clutch kit and clutch cover gasket is around 50 bucks shipped.

DuraBlend 4T 20W-50 - Four-Stroke - Product information - Valvoline

I this is the oil then it is suitable for wet clutches.

Being 50 grade could have posed some problems with a Blaster clutch.

Yes, that was the oil run.
Does the 50 grade have viscosity issues with the clutch plates themeselves, or is the 50 grade just too thick for a gears and causes it to be much harder to turn the motor? I see the oil is for a 4 poke, which obviously, runs at slower rpms.

The wording "extreme pressure additives " could indicate friction modifiers without actually coming right out and saying it ...

I agree, but it specifically says "for motorcycles with wet clutches". I would think that would me no incorrect additives. Heck I don't know, just trying to determine the cause of the SUDDEN clutch slippage. Also, when the clutch is pulled in, the transmission in gear, and you rev the throttle, the bike moves forward..... and inch or so. BUT, the clutch does not start to engage until the clutch handle is release about 1/2 to 3/4 of an inch from the grip.

The wording does make it quite confusing, but friction modifiers can also be found in trans oil for wet clutches. It is recommended to use oils specified for use in 2 stroke transmissions only, a few good examples that can be found at atv specialty stores are yamalube 4, bel ray gear saver. If you do not have access to a atv shop/store you can go with Mobil 1 4T which can be found at all the big chains ( Pep Boys, AutoZone, Advances auto parts etc. ) Myself along with a few other members on the forum have been using the Mobil 1 4T with great results !

Wet-clutch compatible and recommended for Japanese and other motorcycles where an API SG or JASO MA fluid is specified.

Features and Benefits
Wear protection
Increased anti-wear agents (zinc and phosphorous) help minimize wear from metal-to-metal contact.
Engine cleanliness
Special cleaning agents and dispersants help prevent deposit formation and keep engines clean.
Stays in grade
Keeps its protective oil film during the entire refreshment period and maintains viscosity grade rating.
Applications
High performance four-stroke motor oil applicable for virtually all 4-cycle motorcycle engines.
Wet-clutch compatible and recommended for Japanese and other motorcycles where an API SG or JASO MA fluid is specified.
Suitable for high-performance motorcycles.
Suitable for 4T motorcycles with engine, gearbox, and wet clutch in one system.
Breakdown resistance
Shear stable viscosity improvers help resist oil film breakdown.
Multi-purpose use Suitable for leisure, transport and day-to-day riding.
Protects wet clutch
Optimal frictional characteristics for maximum power transfer, smooth shifting and proper protection of the wet clutch.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Taken from the spec sheet, make your own conclusion.

I agree, but it specifically says "for motorcycles with wet clutches". I would think that would me no incorrect additives. Heck I don't know, just trying to determine the cause of the SUDDEN clutch slippage. Also, when the clutch is pulled in, the transmission in gear, and you rev the throttle, the bike moves forward..... and inch or so. BUT, the clutch does not start to engage until the clutch handle is release about 1/2 to 3/4 of an inch from the grip.

I am no clutch expert, but I believe that the 50 grade oil is causing the clutch drag due to its "thickness"

Due to the "thickness" of the oil, when the fibres grab the plates in the clutch, I believe that there would be excessive oil between the mating surfaces, which could cause slippage.

I may be barking up the wrong tree.