gear problm and a ?

125pb

Apr 25, 2010
3000ft above sea level, 70-85F
ok, i just put together my engine, transmission, everything. my problem came when i went to start it the first time. i could feel litttle bumps in the kick start lever a little rough. when the blaster started i could here a loud whirling or winding noise. i dont think its the engine parts ( like the bearings etc.) when i was in the process of putting the primary drive gear in the one that touches the clutch basket i could feel it wasnt that smooth, but i knew that that was the only way they go in (because of the manual) why would these gears not get along? i also notice that there is different wear marks on the clutch basket gear. what do you think???:-/ i put all the spacers in i torqued everything. i also have another gear i can try

Did you check to make sure everything turned smoothly before fully assembely at each faze or gear you put in? Kicker should fill smooth other then the compression of the piston. Do you have oil in the trans? Cause that would make a whirring noise if no.

it was when i put the basket on i noticed that they were not getting along. like they were not touching at the right point of the teeth. there is oil in it too, thick 15w40. then after i ran it for 2-3 min i looked at the gear though the oil fill cap and could see that there were wear marks on the top of the teeth

If your getting different wear marks on the same parts it had before tear down, then something is different to cause this to happen. When I split my case for a crank and put it back together, I checked each gear I added because I didn't have a sevice manual, but a printed version. So I checked it to the wear of the gears as I went, and checked that everything turned freely with out binding or gritty feel other wise I need to find the cause. As you should do your self, Or some one that knows what to look for.

well another thing is that the gears are from different transmissions. i rebuilt mine using other parts from another trans. both looked fine too me. i guess i can try a differnt one until i get one that matches. dont know what else to do. hay another ? when it was running for that 2-3 min i shut it off and noiced that the head/cylinder was hotter then the exhaust pipe. is this normal for this motor, i have not ever had a blaster or two stroke before and this is the first time it has ran.

Different parts will wear differently, the question is did it look to be riding the same area of the gear during assembly, or are they off set a little more? You might have to shim it if they are but I'd be guess if that is possible. Secondly you said they didn't seem to turn smoothly which doesn't sound good to me.

what part of the pipe, the big chamber area is double walled I think so that won't fill very hot. I know the pipe right off the jug cools quicker than the jug fins on mine.

i think that one or both of the gears are worn too badly and they dont match each other because they were in different trans. i just hope its not the one on the basket its expensive. so does your blaster head get hotter then the exhaust?