gas

tyler1blaster

Aug 16, 2009
virginia
hey guys i got another simple question... whenever i ask my dad to pick up gas for my blaster he always picks up the mid grade gas i tell him that 93 would be the best and he always says no i have had no probs burnin the mid grade stuff.... the guy i bought the bike from says he always burnt mid grade i have the oil injector still on but that wont be on for long so should i burn the mid grade or hi test gas??? sorry for the long thread

Well when i get my blaster back from the shop, im gonna start using 110 race gas. it use to be called Turbo Blue, but its a different name now. Its 100% non- ethanol gas. When i was running 87 octane gas i used Sea foam. I ran about 1/2 pint in 5 gallons. It works really good of course im using Bel-Ray H1R since mine is a pre-mix. Hope this helped

never heard of that yb but i dont know were to get non ethanol gas excp for like vp racing gas

you can google search for it. there are a couple of places here locally that sell it but they will not put it in a street legal vehicle- only gas cans. my friend fills the 70 gallon tank on his toy hauler before trips with it as all of the family's quads run better on non-ethanol.

Well when i get my blaster back from the shop, im gonna start using 110 race gas. it use to be called Turbo Blue, but its a different name now. Its 100% non- ethanol gas. When i was running 87 octane gas i used Sea foam. I ran about 1/2 pint in 5 gallons. It works really good of course im using Bel-Ray H1R since mine is a pre-mix. Hope this helped

I use K&S 110 race fuel and love how much better my Blaster runs. It is a little expensive but the Blaster gets really good mileage. I was a little afraid of switching at first because I did not want to re-jet but I was told that I would not have to unless I used something that has been oxygenated like some of VP's fuels.

Last edited:
I have read studies before that showed using higher octane gasoline than is necessary for your engine will actually cost you power. This is because of the higher ignition temperature needed to ignite the fuel. I considered that this might not be a problem on an air-cooled engine, which normally run hotter than a liquid cooled one; however, a guy I know that is all into karting has told me he has dynoed built 5hp Briggs' and showed a lose with higher octane gasoline. Of course alcohol has a much higher octane rating than most gasolines I know of, and another advantage of running alcohol is that the much larger fuel to air ratio needed for alcohol will raise the running compression of your engine and build power(the alcohol will occupy more overall volume of the compression chamber than the lower volume of gasoline that is needed with a giving volume of air) Similiarly, nitro methane takes very little air for a proper ratio(nitro methane is an oxidiser) and a proper air to fuel ratio for it creates a termendous compression "bump"(Even when atomised, you cant compress a liquid). The draw back is terrible milage and increased corrossion.

I have read studies before that showed using higher octane gasoline than is necessary for your engine will actually cost you power. This is because of the higher ignition temperature needed to ignite the fuel. I considered that this might not be a problem on an air-cooled engine, which normally run hotter than a liquid cooled one; however, a guy I know that is all into karting has told me he has dynoed built 5hp Briggs' and showed a lose with higher octane gasoline. Of course alcohol has a much higher octane rating than most gasolines I know of, and another advantage of running alcohol is that the much larger fuel to air ratio needed for alcohol will raise the running compression of your engine and build power(the alcohol will occupy more overall volume of the compression chamber than the lower volume of gasoline that is needed with a giving volume of air) Similiarly, nitro methane takes very little air for a proper ratio(nitro methane is an oxidiser) and a proper air to fuel ratio for it creates a termendous compression "bump"(Even when atomised, you cant compress a liquid). The draw back is terrible milage and increased corrossion.

are you sure. i know higher compression is necessary to run methanol, ethanol etc but the other reason why you gain power (a 10-15% boost in power over standard gasoline) is due to the cooling factor. it burns alot cooler and thus more power ensues. also, it burns twice as fast so yes milage is alot less than that of a gasoline burning engine. also stated the wear and tear is much greater on the internals such as seals and bearings etc..

i did a lot of research because i was gonna run my goped on methanol..i still have the carb..much bigger jets than a standard 2 cycle carb. just so you dont think im making sh*t up looll

Whats wrong with the regular cheap grade 87 gas.I wouldn't spend the extra few bucks for mid or super either,on a mostly stock machine 87 is more than fine.I think dad is being nice!!lol

I use to think back when I was younger that "premium" gas was better quality and therefore better for your engine, power, etc., but now I believe that the only gain you will get from it is less chance of preignition. This is why higher compression engines normally need it. I say normally because if you keep up with some of the modern engine building techniques and components used in hot rodding(such as high-tech coatings on pitons and cumbustion chambers), people are able to run much higher compressions than ever before on pump gas when a similar build use to require race gas. High compression is not a requirement to run straight alcohol. I use to build quite a lot of alcohol kart engines as a hobby( flat head 5hp Briggs) and building one of them with higher compression is a relative term. They are never no where as high as most modern-type overhead valve engines. And there is a very noticable power gain in them simply by goin from gas to alcohol. Yes, engine cooling is a performance booster as well. Those little Briggs run 400-500 degree head temps, and the carb will be cool to the touch and sweating like a pig from the cooling effect of the alcohol. Look at the difference in the size of the jets needed. You aren't flowing anymore air, but the fuel flow has to increase dramatically. That fuel fills volume, and the increase in the volume that the fuel fills decreases the volume that the air can be compressed in to. Fuel droplets, and the like, are still liquid, and therefore are non-compressable. I cant guarentee it because I'm definitely not a 2-stroke expert(or any other kind, lol), but I would bet if you change nothing else on your motor but the jetting needed for alcohol and ran it on thatt, you would notice a power gain.
If you suspect that your engine is "pinging", go up in octane. Otherwise, I dont see where higher octane is gonna help you. Also, 10% alcohol in gas will decrease the average cars milage by 12%. We have a couple of stations around here that have signs stating that theres no alcohol in their gas. I buy there when I can.